Chapter 26 - As Red as Blood

Myra's thoughts centered on one thing only: revenge

She hadn't been able to protect Kaye. She had felt the end of his life that night, even though she hadn't been there.

She had lost Kaye, and she felt that losing Kaye would drive her out of her mind. That foolish, wilful... warm-hearted fool of a fae had put the taste of life back on her tongue with his kisses... and then he had left, and it seemed she had died a second time.

Her curse was to crave love more than life, but only to experience pain and suffering in the end. And those who dared to feel love for her always suffered the worst of fates...

She warned him, but he kept coming back. He said that no curse was unbreakable and that he had been waiting for her all his life. About how a desperate wish that came from the bottom of his heart was always granted sooner or later and that a companion destined by fate would never leave his Erastai. Heavens ... this man was a dreamer, with his head in the clouds and the fervent hope of ... a better future in his heart. And that damn light had attracted them. Yes, they were like candle wax and a flame. Together, they could burn... but they were also drawing towards the end.

It was her fault that Kaye had suffered this fate because she had been too weak to send him away for good. Because she couldn't convince him to cut the strange bond between them for good. Instead, she let herself be infected ... and softened. She heard his heartbeat and suddenly felt life in her chest. She tasted more than ash on her tongue ..., and for the first time since she had been torn into the darkness, she savored the feeling of being full.

Her world was anything but whole. It lay in ruins, like everything around her. But as long as Kaye had been there, she had dared to feel a hint of something like happiness. That was the beginning of the end.

The suffering always remained with those who stayed behind.

That was probably what she and Zane shared: The loss and love for Kaye and the longing for revenge, hoping it would ease their pain.

Revenge was what they both wanted.

And revenge was what they were going to get.

It was the only thing they had left.