Chapter 17: Rising Tennyson

--Titans Tower--

(Ping... Flash!)

"Noise-Master!"

"Noise-Master!"

The transformed Titan swings his fist forward and nails a flying volleyball; pull back to follow it over a net toward Cyborg, Terra and Starfire on the other side. A metal-handed bump sends the ball up, and the camera pulls back again to frame the entire court: it is on the Tower's roof, and Beast Boy is Morgan's teammate. Raven is nowhere to be seen for the moment. As such, a quick crossing of his arms causes the little gray alien to split into two identical copies, thereby granting his team a third player in order to be fair.

After a few more volleys, pull your gaze back to the edge of the roof. For we can find the fifth Titan, meditating a foot or so above the surface.

Raven: Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos... Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos...Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos...

Back to the court; the ball sails across, but Beast Boy hops up as a kangaroo and kicks it back hard. Starfire flies up to deliver a killer spike, one of the Noise-Masters jumps for a counter-move, Terra slides across to bump, and now Cyborg rushes in for the follow-up. As the ball descends toward the net, the big man gets ready to spike and suddenly finds himself facing an even bigger green gorilla with the same idea in mind. Beast Boy smashes the ball past both members of the opposition; it hurtles straight toward the back of Raven's head. An instant after he comes down from his jump, he resumes human form and panics.

Beast Boy: Raven, heads up...!

Noise-Master 1: Uh-oh...

Noise-Master 2: It's headed right for you!

The ball continues its flight, but stops dead an inch short of her cranium thanks to an annoyed glance and a bit of telekinesis.

(!!!)

Rocketing back toward the four players as she faces forward to resume meditation, it slams into Beast Boy's breadbasket.

Beast Boy: Yow!...Thanks, uh... (He collapses.) ...good save.

The two NMs look worriedly at him, then to Raven.