Heart Full of Riches

(Non-Canon)

Rich hated working in this factory. It was creepy, the management was shit, then he was stuck working in the rejected room because he dared complain about the poor working conditions. He would've quit a long time ago if it wasn't for the fact that he had a soft spot for the kids in the Playcare. He felt bad that they would never get to see the outside world. He was finally promoted to a new job where he had to go down to the Playcare, and he wasn't even allowed to interact with the kids.

Why were these scientists' pricks worried? It's not like he's gonna kidnap the kids, though he was thinking of adoption. Him and his wife were struggling to conceive a child, so after so many years of trying, they decided to adopt. It wasn't easy though all of their applications to adopt got rejected or they found another family for the child.

It all weighed on his mind, but he tried to stay positive for his wife. He loved her more than anything, so he wanted to be better for her and for any potential child they could have. Rich wasn't sure if he wanted to adopt a child from the Playcare he wasn't looked fondly at by the company, and he was rough around the edges he didn't want a sheltered child dealing with that.

Although he wouldn't have guessed that his dreams of having a child would come so soon.

●~<☆>~●

"Playcare got a new kid. Who cares? They always have a new kid, " Rich huffed, crossing his arms as his fellow employee Stuart. Stuart let out a laugh "apparently this kid had a lot of spunk. I don't blame her poor girl. She got abandoned at the hospital by her mother. The only family she has is her grandmother, but she's already dealing with health problems herself. " Rich's face softened. He felt like a jerk now. "Damn, I mean, I'd have spunk to if I was abandoned and brought to a strange place." Stuart nodded as they made their way into the Playcars from the express.

Rich looked over at Home Sweet Home and paused. He caught sight of the little girl and her grandmother. The poor old lady looked to be in her 80s, needing a cane to help her stand. The little girl had long hair and was very skinny, like she wasn't fed properly she was also very pale.

Rich wasn't sure what compelled him to go over to them, but his legs moved before his mind could. The old lady smiled gratefully at the Playtime Caregiver. "Thank you for taking in my granddaughter. I would've taken her in myself, but I am at the end of my life she deserves a place where she is cared for" Rich felt his heart melt, but he couldn't stay in the background for long when the old lady noticed him.

"Oh, hello sir, you must be one of the workers," she said as the little girl peeked from behind her grandmother. Rich cleared his throat and nodded. "Uh ya, I am. I see your granddaughter is staying here, " the old lady nodded solemnly "Yes...I can't take care of her in my condition, and my good for nothing daughter has dissapered again... Where did I go wrong in raising that girl.." she mumbled, anger replacing her sadness.

The little girl looked at the man and scowled, "You aren't one of those meanie doctors, are you?" Rich chuckled bending on one knee, so he was face to face with the girl "Nah just a normal worker, nothing special. " he shrugged, and the girls expression softened."Everyone is special," If Rich wanted to be a dad so bad, he was now wrapped around this girls finger "Say why don't I show what I do? Would you like to spend time with a gruff guy like me?" The girls face brightened, and she looked at her grandmother."Can I?" She pleaded.

The old lady chuckled, "Of course, dear, just be careful, my little cloud." The girl smiled and went over to Rich, who took her hand as they walked away. He hummed in, though, before looking at the girl, "I never got your name before." The girl smiled at him."I'm Skylar," Rich nodded. "I'm Rich." The two smiled at each other before going to restock the toys in the Toy Store with Stuart.

●~<♤>~●

Dogday suddenly woke up from his dream and rubbed his head. That dream it felt so familiar, and yet he no longer could remember the man he used to be. He looked to his side and saw Hopesong fast asleep her peaceful look brought a smile to his face.

He may not remember the man he used to be, but he certainly remembered the little girl that changed his life forever, the little girl he cherished and wished to take from this awful place but fate had other ideas for them. At least he could protect her from the horrors she no longered remembered and hoped it stayed that way.

Dogday pulled Hopesong closer and to his side as she snored. He never figured out why he started having these memories about how a gruff man and a spunk girl somehow knew they were destined to be a family, but he accepted these dreams and held the burden of those memories so Hopesong didn't have to be reminded of who she used to be.

...But now that was all wishful thinking

Dogday stared at the Playhouse cushion floors as he stayed tied up to the ceiling, hanging by old belts that held his weight. His legs are now missing, and blood dripping from the open wound where a belt kept his organs from spilling out, but all that was minor compared to the gaping hole left in his heart.

His little pegasus was gone, and he was never going to see her again. Maybe Rich would've fought more to free himself and find his daughter, but Dogday had lost hope he would ever see his little girl again.