Waiting

(Non-Canon)

(Alright, someone gotta keep me away from angst. I keep seeing angst potential! Anyway, this is a continuation of "Mother Earth and Father Time"! So prepare tissues)

●~<♧>~●

Three months. It had been three months since (Y/n), Poppy, Kissy Missy, Catnap, and himself escaped the factory killing the Prototype within that hell, but Dogdays world became gray with the loss of his daughter.

His little girl. His brave little girl. Gave up her life to save the very being that hurt her the most. He still remembered how the Prototype carelessly threw his child's body away and how her blood stained his hands. It made him want to throw up thinking about it.

He could never erase the dead look in her eyes when she took her final breath. It wasn't fair. Dogday had to live while his daughter died to make sure Satan's right hand cat got to see the sky.

He hated that damn cat.

Catnap didn't deserve Hopesongs sacrifice, and yet she still cared for him enough to make sure he lived. Deep down, Catnap knew he didn't deserve his nieces mercy or her gift, yet he was selfish. Hopesong was his best friend when they were humans, and some selfish part of him felt like he was deserving of her mercy.

But if he knew it would lead to her demise, he would've begged his "God" to take his life instead. Now, it was too late, and Catnap couldn't change the roles.

Dogday hated him for that. The only person who soothed his heartache was his angel (Y/n). They understood his pain and comforted him and let him cry in their arms. He knew it was selfish, making them carry some of his grief, but it helped make the burden weigh less. Dogday knew that (Y/n) missed Hopesong just as much as he missed her, and in a way, this was an outlet to grieve all of his family that Catnap took away from him.

In the Playhouse, he couldn't really grieve when his insides were being fed on for so long. He had no time to grieve when he was in pain, but now there was no pain stopping him from grieving the loss of his friends and child.

And all he could do was be swallowed by his sorrows and let (Y/n) put the broken pieces of himself back together. He loved his angel he truly did not deserve them.

●~<☆>~●

Dogday groaned and slowly woke up in a dark abyss. Dreams like this were nothing new to him, but something about this seemed...Different.

A familiar giggle made him pause, and he looked over to the white unicorn with the blue mane. "C-Craftycorn?" His long-time crush and best friend stood before him looking at the sky above with stars painting the navy blue above.

"This life is amazing when you greet it with open arms~"

"Crafty..." Dogday whispered as Craftycorn turned to look at him with her kind and beautiful smile that seemed to always put him at ease as she continued her song.

"Whatever we face we'll be fine if we're leading from the heart~"

"No matter the place we can light up the world here's how to start~"

"Greet the world with open arms, greet the world with open arms~"

With the end of her song Craftycorn and the night sky faded away. Dogday rushed forward trying to hug his friend "wait! Please! Don't go! Come back!" He cried out, but she didn't come back.

Dogday cried silently until he heard a faint voice.

"Waiting...~"

Dogday startled by the voice looked around for the person it was coming from "It...It can't.."

"Waiting~"

The voice was a little louder and a glowing shape started to form infront of him "..Hopesong..?"

"Waiting, Dogday when you come home I'll be waiting~"

Sitting under an appletree was his daughter, Hopesong. She flapped her wings looking ahead smiling as she continued her song.

"Even if you're the last thing I see I'll be waiting~"

Dogday scooted closer to his daughter reaching for her. Soon joining in her song.

"I'm right here, sweet. Can't you see?~"
"Waiting~"

"I'm waiting~"
"Waiting~"

He reached to touch her shoulder, but in horror his hand only went through reminding him that she wasn't really here with him.

"I took too long..~
"I'll always love you~"

"And ventured too far~"
"I'll stay in your heart"

"While you were waiting~"
"Waiting~"

"Waiting~"
"Waiting~"

"Waiting...~"
"Waiting...~"

Dogday watched as Hopesongs image faded away into the abyss leaving him alone. Soon that abyss swallowed him whole usually he would fight it, but right now he didn't have the will to fight it.

●~<◇>~●

Dogday jolted awake from his dream taking a few quick breaths before sitting up. He was in (Y/n)'s room and the moon was still out casting its cold, comforting glow.

Dogday looked to the otherside of the bed and saw (Y/n) sleeping peacefully. He gently brushed some hair from their face admiring them while they slept. He really didn't deserve them, but he was glad he had them.

Dogday slowly got out of bed being careful to not wake up his angel, and made his way downstairs and out of the cabin. He walked in the woods before settling under an appletree.

Dogday hoped that maybe his friends and daughter would be able to see the world through his eyes and get the chance to see what the real-world was like. It was unlikely but it helped with his sanity that maybe he wasn't such a useless leader.

Dogday looked at the treble clef necklace he held in his hand watching the moons glow reflect off the black metal. He remembered how proud Hopesong was of her pendent taking utmost care of it so it would always shine. He wasn't perfect but he tried to keep up with the pendents care.

Dogday brought the necklace close and gave a silent promise "I swear you won't have to wait...Once I have lived my life to the end..All of out waiting will be over..We'll be together again..I promise.."

"Just wait for me a little longer, everyone.."

●~<♤>~●

(I SWEAR the next one-shot will not be angst I promise! Hope you all enjoy!)