Chapter 2 - Love at first sight

His POV

As I'm patrolling the area of the mall, I feel a gentle hand tap my shoulder. As I turn around, a woman is standing behind me, her cheeks red from the cold and her hands full. She looked uncomfortable. I do not know whether she was nervous about the crowd or something else, so I waited till she spoke.
"Excuse me, can I please get past you?" She spoke in a soft, innocent voice that warmed me up. I shoved people to get her a clear entrance, and she thanked me before running off. However, she dropped her wallet. I pick it up, reading the information on it, even though I know I shouldn't. Alyssa. Her name and everything on her ID.

I decided I needed to get this back to her, so I told the others to cover my spot until I'm back.

I walk at a reasonable distance from her, hoping not to scare her. She walked so carefully, her eyes observing every sudden sound she hears. We walk like this for a couple of minutes before she notices me behind her. I walk faster, hoping to catch up with her, but she speeds up the same way. I refuse to jog just yet, hoping she realises the pink wallet in my hand that belongs to her. Instead, I follow behind her, observing her every feature.

She had smooth, dirty blonde hair and long legs like a model. Her skin seemed soft, and it had a natural glow to it, even though she was quiet pale. Her face lacked colour, not naturally but in a sick and scared way. She seemed to slightly freeze for a second before looking behind her again. Then she began running. She was running in heels and a long coat that was just under her knees. Her hair flew smoothly in the air, in slow motion. I was too distracted to notice she might fear me. She might be running from me.

I watched as she ran into the giftshop, where only one person stood. The streets were empty and cold. I decided to keep cover until she kept on walking. I know it was wrong, but I wanted to watch her. I've never seen a woman so beautiful. She was almost the exact opposite of me. I was a bit tan, taller, by at least 7 inches. I had dark brown hair and eyes while she had blonde hair and blue eyes. I was Italian, and I only moved here 10 years ago and joined the army. She must've lived here her whole life. She seemed to know a lot of people like someone who lived here her whole life would.

I watched her from the shop window in hiding as she had a conversation with the cashier. I could've sworn she thought she's crazy as she looked around, not seeing me. I decided to keep my cover and follow her to her home, putting her wallet in her mailbox.

I walk behind here, keeping an even longer distance than before, hoping not to scare her more.

I follow her even into a forest, where she starts getting pale again, looking around nervously. She looks so beautiful as she stands there so innocently. I don't know why I feel this way towards her. I know I shouldn't. And I'll probably never see her again. Ever. I snap back to reality due to her running again. She must've seen me.

God damn it.

I begin jogging towards her as she's running as fast as she can. We get out of the forest to see her running towards a huge flight of stairs even though she's staring at me instead of watching where she's running. Suddenly, her heel breaks, and she's flying down the stairs, dropping roughly on the ground under it. There must've been at least 30 stairs, which she fell on before she landed. I run towards her, knowing she might not even be conscious. As I get to her, she's slowly opening her eyes, but her tiny body doesn't move.

I observe her and her body's well-being after that fall. There are deep scratches on her knees, hands, and some on her face, too. There are also smaller scratches all up the side of her thigh. Her nose is bleeding, too. Her ankle must be at least twisted if not broken. How bad did she hurt herself? Maybe I should've just left her alone after the gift shop. I'm so stupid. But now I can't leave without getting her medical care. Her eyes widen as she finally gains consciousness. She pushes herself up slowly, letting out gentle sniffles. She panics as she looks at me and tries to push herself away. She tried to get to, but it doesn't last long until she falls on her ass again. How long is she gonna keep hurting herself? What a poor thing. I reach my hand out towards her without a word.

"I'm fine! Get away from me!" She cries out. Tears are dripping from her eyes as she sits there, helplessly.
"I'm not going to hurt you, sweetheart. Please, just let me help you." My hand slowly reaches her shoulder, and she flinches. She relaxes a little after a few minutes, but I can tell her shoulders are still very stiff.
"Let me help you get home wherever you live. You can lead the way. I just need to make sure you're okay." The words left my mouth quickly, as I've been repeating these sentences every since I joined the army.
"Pft, like you don't already know." She pulls away. The confused look on my face must've clicked something in her head, and she relaxed a little. Now I felt entitled to tell her why I followed her.

"Umm... You dropped your wallet," I say, pulling out the pink wallet from my back pocket. "That's why i was following you. I'm sorry I scared you, I meant no harm. This is all my fault. Let me make it up to you." Her expressions change from a shocked to then a guilty face.
"I'm sorry I ran off. I shouldn't have. You were just trying to be nice. It's okay, I'll be fine. You must be busy anyway."

Her voice was so sweet as if a beautiful angel had spoken to me. She was not pale anymore, at least not in a sick way and she looked way more relaxed. My eyes wondered on her body, taking her in. I just wish I could touch...No. Don't go there. The lady is injured.

Fuck.