5 | Unveiled truths

Y/n’s POV

Jungkook turned. For the first time his eyes weren't cold and indifferent. It had a glint of something which I couldn't quite decipher. “Help me remember. This would be my last wish before you kill me ." And then I watched his lips turn up into that very alluring smirk. It wasn't sarcastic or disbelieving . “ Fine. " Just one word and I could finally breathe .

Only for my breath to cease . Jungkook's hands encircled mine as I felt myself being pulled forward to sit up . Besides the shooting pain behind , I felt dread and my throat was clogged with an incoherent gasp when he held his phone in front of me . It was a video waiting to be played .

My eyes travelled to take a glance at Jungkook. He was waiting for me to take the device in my hand with a prying gaze . I gulped down the dryness my throat felt and held the phone with my shaky hands . “ Watch it ." Short words and yet they were enough to set off a freezing chill down my spine.  I pressed on the play button with my trembling thumb and held in my breath as the video started.

It came foggy and colourless but the footage seemed to be of a wintry afternoon at a seaside edge where the roaring waves clashed against the cold grey rocks.  It was quite an altitude, the rocks stood way above the sea level and on top of them stood two figures. My eyes squinted trying to figure out who they were .

They looked young. The girl wore a long wavy frock and over it a furry sweater to keep away from the cold . Beside her stood a boy who was taller than her , looked more mature. I recognised myself in the video , after a while when she turned around to take in the scenery.

My skin felt the prickling cold which settled against it as the realisation slowly dawned over me . As the video slowly moved on , I started gathering truths about me which my brain had forgotten. I knew a part of my life was gone . I always felt that emptiness lingering but I never questioned or tried to remember.

Ten years back I had committed a sin which I had forgotten. Ten years back I pushed down a person from the edge of those huge grey rocks. Ten years back , the roaring ocean devoured a soul out of its hunger. I was the one who fed it. Then….what happened afterwards?

The phone fell out of my trembling hold , clattered on the floor with the still lightened screen holding a crack.  Just like that , I was the reason behind another fall.  It was a human… someone breathing, existing. Someone who held fears , emotions… a beating heart . I kept staring at the cracked screen , my vision blurring with tears . The video played , I saw myself killing someone and yet I didn't remember.

My mind was an empty shell with forgotten pasts . Anything which could have hurt me , broken me apart . I forgot about them. Instead I built personalities within me who would protect me from further pain.  All these years I thought I was the victim of something which tormented my soul , broke me mentally and left me sick in the head . All these years I depended on my personalities, embraced them as a friend I never had only for them to become the outcome of a crime I caused.

They were my mates . Helping me forget the fact that I killed a person. A living , breathing person. I couldn't breathe. The world around me whirled with the truth being a whiplash. The lash was so hard for a pain to slowly rise from the back of my head , surpassing every other pain from the inflicted wounds of last night . No this was something overpowering, unbearable, so much for me to hold my head and gasp out a strangled scream.

My brain was beating me up , or rather I was beating myself up to remember. Right at that moment, I felt fear . I felt helpless. I felt remorse. And I felt shackled with the truth burdened on me right away.  But I couldn't feel the guilt . I couldn't because I didn't remember.