6 | Between Vengeance & Love

Jungkook's POV

" I need her medical details." Presently I stood outside the motel, somewhere at the midst of the overstretching meadows behind it . The place was devoid of humans or the bustling city noises . It was a soundless night with just crickets chirping . The person on the other side of the line remained silent before letting out a frustrated breath.

" All you have to do is take her to Jeju , follow the plan and get rid of this mission. Why do you need to make it so complicated, Jungkook?" Yoongi didn't hide the annoyance in his voice . I was also sure to have received his glaring warnings if he was physically here . Him being not here though gave me a bit more power than usual. " Well you didn't send me a car yet. I cannot continue with the journey otherwise , not with that dingy truck which halts in the middle of nowhere."

His angry grumble upon hearing my words made a small curve to form on my lips . It had been a while since I felt lighter. Talking to Yoongi helped somehow. " So till I send you one you would rather waste time on doing what? A background research? For the subject whom you are eventually going to kill ?" The lightness was squeezed out of my chest , making it short lived .

" There's more behind the death of my brother. I will dig into it ." My answer was curt and to the point. And maybe I was still hesitant about completely telling Yoongi about the whole situation. Or rather how my mind had managed to manipulate my past motivations . Now there stood a hesitance in my heart which eventually ceased my actions. It didn't take me time to realise what I was upto .

I was trying to prolong the time somehow, unknowingly and after Y/n's last words to me tonight before I had locked her inside the room and walked out , the hesitance only grew .

" Is your infatuation with her stronger than your vengeance , Jungkook?" Yoongi wasn't someone who would sit back and take orders. I should have known by now . Even though I had decided to let him know about what's going on completely, I decided that maybe just telling him could result in a better outcome.

I sighed , the phone tightening in my grip as I decided to speak. " Today something happened. I showed her the video and the reaction didn't come as usual . Yoongi , I have killed many people but this is different." I grabbed the phone away from my ear and then replaced it with my other hand . My nerves churned as the scene replayed in my mind.

" People would usually be scared and guilty. They would try begging for mercy? But this is not it . She is not afraid, Yoongi . It's the truth which scares her , something she doesn't remember. She isn't guilty because it seems everything I am telling her is like some kind of exposure. I need to know what happened that day for which she forgot. And she isn't acting. There's something wrong."

" What made you think that things are wrong ?" Yoongi spoke after a while , processing my words . "She seemed so lost and shocked after seeing that video . One moment she was having a breakdown and the next moment, there was a snap of character. She strongly denied this long that she doesn't remember anything and wants to know the truth . Then suddenly there was a shift and it felt as if she knew more than we did . "

I had my hand run through my hair , mind going frenzy for a while as I still contemplated whether to tell him about the childhood memories or not. But then , it was something valuable to add onto as well . And I could trust Yoongi with this . " She acted like her childhood self...when she was fifteen. She remembers me...knows that I used to sneakily give her roses and called her rose in my letters." A chuckle came from my side . It was of wonder and dejection. I was so pathetic.

Yoongi sighed after hearing it all . He seemed to be walking around with the little pants coming from his side , as restless as mine. "Jungkook. Break out of this daze . She's clearly trying to manipulate you . Why would she otherwise act like she doesn't remember and then bring up the childhood memories. She knows your weak point, boy . And it seems she's trying to hurt it and escape. Just be around her. Don't leave her alone ."

" Huh ?" I was a little lost when Yoongi's perspective came barrelling at me . " She's manipulating me..." I stated the sentence as if telling it to myself as a warning. " Jungkook, our work doesn't allow us to become sentimental. Not in front of our subjects and not in their absence as well . Don't let your heart play your mind , Kook. It will only cause you hurt and we cannot afford emotions ."

Yoongi's words came faint to me because my mind was reeling somewhere else . " I will call you back and send me a car . I need it by tomorrow morning." The call ended as I walked back to the motel . As I took the stairs , I held the gun I held in my hands . I had to test something.

As I unlocked the door , the first thing to catch my eyes was the silhouette of her figure crouched on the bed . Her head rested on her knees while her hands wrapped around them as if shielding herself. The familiar tightness in my heart was back . The same tightness which I was feeling since the ball , since the moment my eyes met hers.

I sighed , stepping inside the room . The door behind me was left ajar . The corridor outside was empty, stating that the people living here must be inside their own respective rooms or down at the bar . The faint music from there did manage to pierce the silence of the room , shaking it with the loud base of the songs playing.

" Get up ." I didn't waste another moment, trying to force my heart to rule my actions. Y/n flinched with my sudden voice , her head peeking to look at me. " Didn't you hear me?" I pushed further when she didn't move . " Y/n-"

" Why did you stop calling me Rose ? Why don't you wonder why I did-" I didn't wait for her words , marching forward to get a grasp on her elbow and jerking her up to stand.

Her eyes held a vulnerability. They held the emotion of fear , mixed with tears of hurt . The tightness around my chest this time sent a jab .

" One chance. I'll give you one chance to walk out of that door and run away. I'll give you one chance to escape death Kim Y/n . " There was an addition to her look . Confusion. " Why ?" Her eyes scanned my face , trying to find the lie but when she found none , she rather wilted.

I let go of her arm and stepped back, giving her the way . " Run and don't get caught because otherwise, I will shoot you-" " You won't hurt me . You won't hurt your Rose..." The name was a trigger. After ten years I wished she didn't remember anything about me . About that Jungkook who was innocent and powerless. Who was easily hurt and deceived. And when she yet again let that name roll out of her mouth, something clicked in me . The monster inside me locked my resistance and took control as I lifted the gun in my hands and pointed at her .

And then I clicked the trigger as the silence was eaten up by the booming sound of the firing gun .

Y/n let out a feared yelp , her hands coming to guard herself as if they could prevent the hit of the bullet. The ringing noise of the gun slowly dissipated while my eyes stood trained on the shivering person ahead. Her hands lowered as she looked at herself, breathing heavily, trying to find the sign of blood and wound. But there were none. None because the bullet went straight past her head and hit the wall which lay adjacent.

When she realised that , her shaking hands fell back , while her face remained smothered with tears. She looked mortified and yet she stood as slowly a smile so trusting and yet broken formed on her lips.

I tightened my jaw , hissing out yet again, "leave ." Yet she didn't move an inch , staring right back at me with the eyes which had slowly started to haunt me . " Please listen to me...there's a part of the story you don't know." She croaked , her voice still trembling due to the after effects of my actions. Her words only tire me farther, pushing me under the loads of perplexion. There were Yoongi's words still lingering in my mind . This all could be her attempt to manipulate me .

But then why didn't she leave ? I took a glance at her again, still standing where she was . In the end I decided that listening to her would give me the bait to decide what to do next. Either believe her or follow the plan. In both cases the gun would still be in my hand. If in future there would seem a shift , I could always get back to my main motto. " Fine . Tell me and I only wish to know the truth."

Now the story will finally move 😮‍💨
Don't forget to comment and vote 🩷