Weapon Summoning

"Pay attention to these petals, Steven." Pearl gestured to the petals falling from the tree behind her. A petal landed on Onyx's muzzle and he stared at it cross-eyed before he snapped it into his mouth. He chewed and winced at the taste, spitting it out quickly.

"The petal's dance seems improvised, but it is being calculated in real time based on the physical properties of this planet."

"With hard work and dedication, you can master the magical properties of your gem and perform your own dance!" Pearl explained eagerly. She put her hands up to her gem, quickly and elegantly summoning her spear. A petal landed in her open palm as she opened her eyes.

"Like so" Steven looked down at the ground and scooped a few petals into his arms.

Steven, Onyx, and Amethyst are standing outside the Big Donut, Amethyst and Onyx eating chocolate donuts. Steven threw his handful of petals into the air, attempting to summon his weapon.

"Did Pearl tell you guys the petal thing?" Amethyst asked, swallowing a piece of her donut.

"Mhm! I need to practice really hard so I can dance like a tree! I think..."

"Yeah, I was gonna tell him that he won't be able to do it the way Pearl does, but I like seeing him try so hard." Onyx whispered.

"Listen Steven." Amethyst called out to him, taking another bite of her donut.

"All that 'practice' stuff is no fun. Whenever I need to summon my weapon, it just happens." She brought a hand over to her gem and summoned her whip, smashing into a dumpster and splitting it in half.

"See? Didn't try at all." She shrugged and Steven scratched at his scalp. Lars came running from the backdoor of the shop.

"Again?!" He yelled, dropping the bag of trash he was carrying.

"So, I'm supposed to work really hard and not try at all at the same time?" Steven asked, looking up at Garnet.

"Yes" Garnet responded curtly.

"Or" She started as she saw Steven's confused expression.

"You can link your mind with the energy of all existing matter channeling the collective power of the universe through your gem, which results in." She moves her arms and body beautifully, ending the dance by summoning her gauntlets.

"At least that's my way of doin it."

"Okay Onyx, how do you do it?' Steven looked up at him from the couch in the temple.

"Well, it's a little bit of everyone's and also, not. My dance appears improvised, it flows uncharted, but I'm choosing each step quickly and carefully like Pearl." He started.

 "It also looks like I don't exactly try, like Amethyst. During an attack we didn't plan for, my dance is quick and swift. And sometimes, I can harness the power in my mind, and channel my emotions straight through my gem to summon my weapon."

"Summoning a weapon is different for everybody. Pearl tries hard, Amethyst doesn't try at all, I have no idea what Garnet does, and I try to get a feel of my emotions, but I'm still figuring it out. So, you can't listen to me, Pearl, Amethyst, or Garnet about this because it's unique." Onyx explained before standing up quickly. He throws one arm out, then the other and slams his hands together, creating sparks that fly out and dwindle down against the floor. He brings his hands down to his naval before throwing them up and opening them, revealing a large black ax to Steven.

"That's so cool!" Steven exclaimed, reaching out to grab it. Onyx set the ax carefully in Steven's hands and chuckled as he struggled to wield the heavy weapon.