Remember, for me.

That was nice. I really, really enjoyed that prolonged hold me and the quartz shared. I didn't like how upset she was, and I figured that holding her, the way I remember doing, was the best way to make her happy again. The boy says that maybe my memories are coming back, and maybe I'll remember the other gems too. I don't have the heart to tell him I don't remember the Amethyst.

"So.... What was that...?" Pearl pried, leaning forward to a blushing Amethyst.

"W-well... I-I just... I just wanted to.... I never really got over when Onyx left s-so, I was just watching him.... And one thing led to another and we were snuggling like best buds again!" The purple gem explained shyly.

"Oh, Amethyst." Garnet teased, crossing her arms playfully.

"Hey! I know you guys miss him too!" Amethyst shot back, looking down with a hand on her arm.

"True. But you were the first one to have him experience one of his old habits." Garnet kept on, earning a giggle from Pearl.

"Garnet! I know you're not talking, I know how much you liked training together! Getting all physical-" Pearl snickered as Garnet leapt to clasp a hand over her mouth, her own face heating up in embarrassment.

"What are you guys doing?" Steven asked, raising a brow at the silly actions of his housemates. Onyx looked at the image, Garnet's palm pressed hard against Amethyst's mouth, her other hand holding onto her arm, blushing hard. Amethyst with a teasing expression on her face, using her free arm to try and push Garnet off. And Pearl, just standing politely with a hand to her mouth, snickering.

"Just here to get... Steven... dressed." Onyx informed them, sending the boy to get dressed with a tap on the shoulder.

"He's so.. He's so much like him..." Pearl said sadly as Onyx and Steven left the temple.

"He mimics his movements, his speech, his responses. I-I mean, it's basically just him but, in a different body. And.. without his memories... How did he even get like that?! Now all he really cares about is Steven." Amethyst groaned, kicking her feet and rolling off the couch.

"While it is... upsetting... I'm sure he will get his memories back soon." Garnet rubbed at her shoulders.

"How'd you get him to ... lay with you?" Pearl asked, crossing her legs. Amethyst shrugged, looking down.

"I dunno.. It just happened. He saw something was wrong and it unlocked something. He never let us get too close most of the time, not even me. Only if one of us is in danger does he ever let us get near him." Amethyst pouted.

"Well, he's not himself, so he probably doesn't remember much.." Pearl responded, helping her back up.

The day went on, Onyx hanging out with Steven, the gems trying to figure out what's up with Onyx. As soon as the sun set, Onyx got Steven into bed and told him a story of when he first emerged. When Steven fell asleep, he scampered down the stairs and over to the seats by the door, sprawling his limbs out. That night, he dreamt.

"Hello, my little Onyx." A sweet voice called out to him. Onyx's eyes shot open, and he found himself lying in a field of beautiful pink roses. He sat up, looking around for the person talking to him.

"It's been so long. Too long." His tail thumped against the ground, and he sprang to his feet instantly.

"Hello?" He knows this voice, he should know this voice. Why was it so hard to recall who this is?

"You've forgotten so much... I just hope you can remember everything in time."

"In time? In time for what? Am I supposed to know something? Who are you? Why do I feel like I know you...... What... What happened to me?" Onyx looked down at his hands, watching them morph from their usual pitch-black color with yellow and orange patterns racing across the fur, to larger, black paws, ever-so-slightly tinted with a dark pink, then back. Instead of the fiery colors that usually donned his fingers, an off-white took their place, wrapping around his digits. He looked at himself, and there was barely any fire color left to him. It was all white. White bands across his tail, limbs, fingers and toes, snout. The fur on his chin was no longer subtle, and it jutted out.

"What...?" He said to nobody as he observed himself flickering back and forth. His eyes widen at his voice. It was deep, and gravelly. He knows who this is. It's him. Or it's supposed to be. But he just doesn't think it really is.

"You'll remember. But I need you to try now. Remember them. Remember me. Remember him." The voice came again, and he turned to see a puddle of pink water. He crouched down and looked at his face. Replacing his usual reflection was one scarred by the consequences of war. His mug was scared, an ear was gone. His horns were chipped and much more jagged. His jaw was slightly off-kilter. And his eyes. His eyes were white, with sharp orange pupils. They knew that he wasn't supposed to be in this body. They were upset that he was in this body. They wanted him out of this body. They glared at him with a fierceness like no other. The reflection leaped out at him, mouth open wide and filled with dangerous teeth. He screamed and was thrown into a sea of darkness.

"Just remember. Remember who you were. For me, please." He gasped loudly as he shot up, his mane wild and fraying. He raced to the bathroom down the hall, slamming the door open and gazing into the mirror. He sighed in relief to find all his features still there. His orange eyes, his chin fluff, his patterns. He groaned and collapsed onto the bathroom floor, tugging the shower curtain over him as he curled up into a ball. He wasn't that gem in the puddle. At least, he thinks so.

What's happening to me? Why did that happen? Who was that voice? Who was in the reflection? Why is this all so confusing! This place is getting to me. I know I'm supposed to be doing something here. Why must everything be so different... Why can't I just remember....

Oooohhh very slight angst at the end, oooooh.