Chapter 10: Done Deals and Maybe Disasters

𐙚ྀ˙✧˖°⋆。˚───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────˚。⋆✧જ⁀➴ᡣ𐭩

Amber's Pov

Kevin's jaw dropped. "A forged what now? For Ray's company? I don't think you need a resume for that" His voice betrayed a mix of confusion and concern.

Who said anything about working in Ray's company?

Heather, shot me a pointed look. "She must have a plan," she said, a hint of a sly smile playing on her lips. But then, her tone shifted, a note of warning creeping in. "Just be careful, Amber. Don't get yourself in over your head. You know we've always got your back, no matter what." Her words were laced with a barely concealed worry.

Ray remained silent, his expression unreadable. A deep frown creased his forehead, a sign of the simmering anger beneath the surface.

"Only if she decides to share." Ray said, with disappointment and a scowl decorating his face.

I've never seen him this upset with me before.

Just how upset is he?

"Alright you two need to sort things out." Dennis joined in, I bet even he hasn't seen Ray like this with me before "Sort it! I'll show these two out, it's getting dark." his voice held a hint of frustration, a subtle plea for them to bridge the gap that had formed.

"Oooh Look at you" Heather cooed "You sound cool Mr.Martin, being all protective, are we?" she teased, her voice sparkling with an attempt to lighten the mood.

Dennis chuckled sheepishly, a blush creeping up his neck. He wasn't used to taking charge, but the situation called for it. He must've felt a surge of protectiveness towards me, a need to shield me from whatever storm I was brewing and he already knew with the mention of Resume.

What do you call someone who should be starting college but isn't?

"College freshman? Nah. Dropout sound too harsh? Maybe.

Well that's beside the point.

"Yep. That sounds nice Mr.Martin. Let's get going, shall we?" Kevin asked Heather, whose eyes flickered for a moment as she said "Let's not mention Martin for a while. Especially not in the enemy's territory." and with one last look they all went out.

Anger simmered hot in my chest as I look at Ray who's just standing defensively in front of me.

Like what's his deal?

"So, out with it, Ray," I demanded, my voice tight with frustration. "No time for this childish game. Tell me what's bothering you."

But Ray's jaw remained set, his blue eyes glinting with a stubborn defiance.

The anger I felt was like a double-edged sword, fueled by confusion "At least tell me what did I do?" I said, frustrated, my voice rising slightly. "Who do you think I am? Some mind reader who can decipher cryptic silence?"

The urge to scream was a constant battle within me. So, I took a deep breath, forcing my voice to a calmer tone. "Come on, Ray," I pleaded, my arms crossing defensively. "We don't have time for this."

Ray scoffed, a harsh, humorless sound. "Great way to ask, bestie," he said sarcastically, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

He took a menacing step closer, his towering frame casting a shadow over me. "You want to know so badly what happened? Then fine, let me give you a recap, Miss Mitchell," he emphasized "Mitchell" ,each syllable dripping with disapproval.