45|FORTY FIVE

“Who brought them here?” A voice thundered in the middle of nowhere, making Maheen and everyone else pause whatever they were doing with their life. Maheen took a step away from little Hala and Ahlah as she turned around to find the owner of the voice only to find her father in law standing near the doorway- burning red in anger. Just one look at him and she knew he was losing whatever it took to hold him together and she didn't know why.

“What happened, baba?” It was Ahlah who stepped forward and dared to ask him for the reason. Ali Dawar sahb opened his mouth and sealed it close when his gaze landed on the little girl hiding behind her mother's dupatta. He had already failed once in raising children and so he wasn't going to chance the upbringing of Hala. Ahlah bent over to her daughter and told her to go to her room.

“Where is Zaviyar?” The question was aimed at nobody but for someone present in the living hall to answer. He looked at her everyone- his eyes lingering at his daughter in law a little longer for answer and when he realized it wasn't coming his way, he asked once again, “Where is Zaviyar? Does any of you understand human languages?”

“He is in the study. Aahil has come over to discuss something with him.” The haveli was old and the night hadn't folded yet but the only son of the house had to return to work. Ali Dawar sahb looked around in search of his wife.

Bahu, go call your husband and tell him to come down right now.” His tone was hoarse, heavy and rumbling but she didn't miss out on the fact that he called her his daughter in law. He was not there yet- he hadn't completely accepted her but he was getting somewhere and the time wasn't very far where she would be granted acceptance.

Ahlah offered a smile to her sister in law as the latter walked towards the staircase with happy tears glistening in her eyes. Noorul Ain, along with her husband, met her in the middle of the staircase as they both made their way to Ali Dawar sahb. Thankfully, Hisham's dadi and Dil Aara with Rukhsar decided to stay in a posh hotel near the haveli. She was thankful that they didn't have to see any of their drama. However, she found her husband and Aahil walking out of the study room– still engrossed in their business discussion and Aahil's eyes found her standing at the staircase. He gestured to his friend and he stopped talking, looking up and finding his wife.

“Kya hua, Mahi?” The coldness that usually graced him whenever he was talking about business, melted as panic took over him after finding his wife looking worried.

Baba is calling you.” She concluded her words, not wanting to make a fool out of herself in front of Aahil. Zaviyar had an idea what this could be about. He knew this would come when he did what he did but he wanted to face it– to get over it and to move on. He, in fact, waited for an opportunity to do it. Though Aahil eyed him suspiciously, he was quick enough to not acknowledge it and ignore it. He knew better than to meet his eyes.

“Do you know what this is about?” He questioned his wife, pretending to be clueless. Maheen shook her head, pivoted on her heels and went back to stand with Ahlah.

Upon reaching downstairs, he could see Noorul Ain arguing with his father and Maheen watching them curiously. Maheen didn't know what happened in the past but Noorul Ain did and she was there. Smoothening his shirt and with Aahil in tow, Zaviyar strode into the living hall- audacious enough to deal with the chaos he created and watch the demons of his life appear in front of his eyes.

Tum ne kya soch kar indono ko yahan bulwaya hai?” Ali Dawar sahb turned one-eighty degree and stood sideways, showing the one on the wheel chair and the one standing behind it. Maheen tilted her head slightly at the scene unraveling in front of her. She didn't know them but she didn't get to feel something based on how her father in law reacted upon seeing them.