...

Diaries of Catherine Holst 1

My name is Cathy Holst. Birth is nothing I know of for I was created. Created for a reason I'm yet to learn. My creator, my Grandma, was a weird one to say. People did come to her for advice, but it never made sense until something actually happened. Others called her a fortune teller.

There isn't much to talk about my childhood. I was an apprentice to my grandmother. I rarely went outside and I had no friends. My grandma lived in seclusion from society. She said it helped with her power else she would be corrupt by the many evils of the world.

My grandmother passed around my sixth moon. A man who had come for a fortune telling three days after her death was the one who helped me burry her. It was just us two at her funeral. I never cried then. My grandmother and I shared no emotional bonds. Just two people locked together by fate.

The man, Alek, asked if I wanted to move in with him and his family. It's not like I had many choices so I agreed.

This was the first time outside of my Grandmother's sanctuary. The world was big, new and scary. Good people and bad people roamed it and I had no idea how to discern one from the other. Lucky for me I was with Alek and he taught me how to survive.

He lived in a country called Litra. The majority of the people there specialised in knowing all things. They had libraries that would satisfy any book lover. Different languages and cultures. That's where I gathered my knowledge of the world.

The deities of our world, the orale, kept the peace and balance. Each had a special power and they were hidden away in Xaldark. There were many entrances to this fabled world but no one who ever made the journey came back. I never tried though, I was content with gathering knowledge from books. That is until a certain event.