CHAPTER 3

Rhea is surprised when she wakes up on her own. Usually, Uncle Ryan's bad taste in music wakes her up. He says it's the best alarm in the world. Rhea skips down stairs but can't find him nowhere. She wanders into the kitchen hoping to find him cooking or something but still nothing. "No note either," she wonders when she looks at the empty fridge.

The sound of the front door startles her.

"Your door is unlocked." Zayn's voice calls.

Rhea looks at the clock above the kitchen door, "I'm late" she thinks and shouts to Zayn,

"Just make something edible, I will be right back."

She rushes to her room, brushes her teeth and change into fresh clothes. Rhea rushes back out and finds Zayn sitting in the kitchen while staring outside.

"Let's go, we're late!" she remarks.

"And whose fault is that?" Zayn retorts.

After locking the door, they get into Zayn's car and head to school. When he had parked, Zayn turns to Rhea,

"I can't drive you home today, I have to visit my brother," he says with a sigh.

"Its fine I also leave later today." Rhea says with a small smile.

After that they part. As usual the school is packed, though not everyone is in it for the education. Some are here to show off their power, self-discovery and others as chance to join the White Moon Coven. Others just to please their parents.

"Hey Rhea!" Eva shouts. Wait for me!" Eva huffs when she reaches Rhea.

"I said wait. We have the same class."

"Why are you still attending awakening class? You are already the best at what you do." Rhea asks.

"Well it's nice to start the day with meditation. It helps deal with the stress of the day. Also, Ms Sage said she could help me with the White Moon Coven." She states.

Ever since Rhea knew her, Eva has been obsessed with the coven. She hopes to join it and help rule Endergates.

"Girls!" Ms Sage welcomes us merrily.

"Hyacinth you can go on ahead. I have something special to discuss with Lumina," she orders.

Ms Sage always had the tendency to call people by their last name. Eva waves goodbye to Rhea and goes on into the class.

"Come on!" Ms Sage says as she practically drags me to her office.

"Take a seat," she offers after checking the hallways and locking her doors. She sighs once seated.

"Look, Lumina," she begins. "The school's board is thinking of excusing you from your studies."

"What? Why?" Rhea asks in surprise.

"They say that maybe you are one of the ungifted and proposed that you begin social service as soon as possible."

"But... But." Rhea tries to defend herself but no words come out.

"I know that you are something special, but there is nothing I can do. Can your uncle come to school sometime this week?" Ms Sage asks.

"I will ask him." Rhea mumbles.

"Do you think you can continue with today's lesson?" She asks petting my hand.

"I don't see it being worth it. Excuse me!" Rhea gets up ready to leave. "Thank you for being patient with me Ms Sage and thinking that I could be something else."

Rhea runs out of Ms Sage's office feeling her life slipping from her grasp. She couldn't face anyone at this time and thoughts of going home didn't cross her mind. She wanders into the woods behind the school and finally rests in the shade of the old oak tree. Clouds gather together, getting ready to bless the land rain. "What will I even do?" she ask herself. "I could become a baker. I love sweets and it's probably not that hard to learn."

She picks up a stick and starts drawing random things on the ground. It starts as cakes then houses and tiny people. Thunder rumbles and Rhea sighs. It seems like heavy rain, maybe a storm but nobody actually cares. A squirrel runs past Rhea. A while later it comes back and stares with its large black eyes.

"What are you staring at?"

It then runs off. What was she expecting? That she suddenly had the ability to talk to animals. That be would be bizarre. The squirrel comes back. This time it stands a little closer.

"Can I help you?" Rhea asks laughing at herself.

It just stares again. Rhea closes her eyes and leans back on the tree. Maybe if she ignores it, it will leave. She feels something warm and wet in the palm of her hand. Rhea opens her eyes to see a peanut. The Squirrel scatters away. Despite her allergies, she tucks it away in her pocket. Rhea spends the rest of the day in the woods, enjoying nature and dozing off once in a while. She doesn't go home immediately after the bell rings.