CHAPTER 4

Eva hadn't seen Rhea since the morning. Rhea didn't even come for cooking class.

"She isn't picking up." Luca says from her side.

It's been hour since school ended, and she isn't home yet. 'What if, she was taken as sacrifice?' Eva's thought intrude. She bites on her fingernails. Best case scenario they would find her bones. Luca drapes his hand around Eva's shoulder,

"Don't worry. Maybe her uncle made her run errands after school." Eva spots Rhea and runs up to her.

"Rhea! Where were you during school? And look at your hair. Even your eyes are bloodshot." Eva rambles while cupping Rhea's face and brushing away her hair.

"I uhm fell asleep in the woods.... What are you guys doing here?" Rhea asks as confused as ever.

"It's Friday and Zayn had some family business to take care of so he can't make it." Luca replies.

Realization seems to dawn on Rhea. She rummages through her bag and unlocks the door.

"Why don't you guys look for something to eat? I need to take a shower.

She disappears into the hallway. Eva looks at Luca but he shrugs and walks to the kitchen. Something was definitely wrong, Eva could tell. A few minutes later, they are all sitting on the sitting room floor surrounding the coffee table.

"Who was the founder of vampires again?" Rhea asks biting the back of her pen.

"Vellow," Luca mumbles but Eva corrects him, "Alfred Litch if it's about origin."

Rhea scribbles something and continues. History was so bad they had to make a study group for it. Two hours later Luca leaves.

"Dad has some business," he said casually.

Rhea and Eva continued for another hour before quitting.

"Is it cool if I sleep over? No one at home today." Eva asks and Rhea agrees without hesitation.

They get some blankets and set up in the living room. After a moment of lying on their sides and staring at each other, Eva finally asks,

"Are you okay?"

The question seems to take Rhea by surprise.

"I'm fine. Why did you ask?"

"Well, for one, you missed cooking class which is your favourite. You let yourself sleep in unprotected environment. You allowed Luca to use your kitchen without supervision."

"Okay, okay, I get your point," Rhea says with a chuckle, "It's just been a rough day." Her sigh hints at tiredness.

I wait for her but she doesn't continue.

"I will tell later, when I'm ready." she says the last part turning away from Eva.

"I'll be waiting." Eva mumbles.

Rhea doesn't like to talk about anything bothering her. It even took her 4 years to talk about her parents. Eva didn't know why Rhea doesn't think she can trust her as a friend. Eva is a very light sleeper so light tapping on a window can wake her from a deep sleep so the hurried knocking on the door wakes her immediately. Rhea on the other hand just mumbles incoherently in her sleep. Eva checks her phone. Who would be walking around at six in the morning? Eva tries to ignore it but whoever is at the door is persistent.

"I'm coming." Eva mumbles.

Eva rolls her eyes at Zayn when she opens the door and finds him there. Zayn looks even more surprised.

"Eva? What are you doing here?" Zayn asks.

"I could ask you the same thing," Eva says eyeing him up and down. Zayn holds onto his left hand. That is when Eva smells it, burning flesh.

"Omg! What happened?" she asks while opening the door wider for him.

"My brother happened." he mumbles, stepping into the house. Eva follows him into the bathroom.

The moment Eva opens the cabinet to look for the first aid kit, a journal falls and hits her on the head. She places it aside so she can continue her search for the first aid kit. Zayn winces as eve starts cleaning his wound.

"Why are you here?" Zayn pushes his previous question.

"Just enjoying a sleepover. Did you want to be with Rhea all alone?" Eva asks wiggling her eyebrows at Zayn but he just rolls his eyes.

The two turn their heads to see Rhea walk in while rubbing her sleep ridden eyes.

"Good morning," she mumbles through a yawn.

Zayn and Eva reply in chorus. Rhea accidentally knocks the journal off the counter and it falls on an open page with a piece of paper between. The three of them huddle around the journal fascinated by the beautiful black strokes of Lines and dots filling the pages. '

Dear Rhea,' she reads aloud the paper which turned out to be a letter 'It has probably day or two since you have seen me and you're wondering where I am. Well, there are very bad people looking for you and I went to give you a head start. I cannot fight them off myself so you should prepare yourself. Go to the land of dreams and talk to the ones in charge. If they can't help you then no one can. Your uncle and guardian, Ryan.'

A moment of silence passes as the three exchange glances. Rhea bursts into laughter and Zayn and Eva just stare. "Great joke guys." Rhea says her eyes skimming the letter again. Neither Zayn nor Eva react. Rhea's face quickly falls and tears gather in her eyes. Zayn moves closer to Rhea and hugs her. Eva does the same. At such an early hour of the day, Rhea mourns for her uncle.

Whether he was alive or not, it was a mystery to them all.