Chapter 41

I ran as fast as my feet could take me and saw Rafe standing by them. "Rafe!" I called out and he turned around to face me. "Rafe I need your help!" I ran over to the knob knowing I'm not strong enough to twist it to get the water off. "Hurry!" He watched me struggle to turn the dial but stayed put. "Rafe Kie is in the sewer! You have to help me!"

"I can't do that." He said shaking his head and my heart plummeted into my stomach. Did he do this?

"Rafe!"

"She's in there looking for the thing that's going to put me away for life. I'm not turning it off." I stared at him in disbelief as I tried desperately to turn it.

"KIE!" I can hear JJ yelling from where they are.

"Rafe." I stormed over to him. "She's going to die if you don't help me." I pleaded with him, feeling the tears in my eyes but he shook his head no.

"I can't."

"Rafe look at me!" I demanded and grabbed his cheeks forcing him to look into my eyes. His locked on to mine and I feel like I'm going to throw up right now. "You need to realize what you are doing right now!" Every second we waste is a second closer to er dying. "She is going to die and it's going to be your fault!" I begged him, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. "Rafe I'm begging you please she's my friend." I choked out as tears rolled down my cheeks. I watched as the emotionless eyes I was looking at shifted into the ones I recognize and he went over to the knob, twisting it around and shutting off the water. I looked over at one of the sewer caps in the road and watched as the water under it sunk before letting out a breath of relief as I heard Kie still screaming which means she's still alive.

I sat down on the curb and put my head in my hands trying to calm down my body. I can feel my hands shaking and I'm sure the rest of me is too. Rafe crouched down in front of me taking in my state. "You were helping them try to put me away." He stated and I shook my head no.

"I'm not trying to get you locked up Rafe." That's the truth. Everyone assumes Rafe is the dangerous one but Ward is the one who drops and disposes of bodies like it's nothing to him. "Don't you get it?!" I asked with a huff looking at him through glassy eyes. "I'm trying to save both of you." I want to clear his and John B's name, and Ward is a perfect person to frame for this.

"It doesn't work that way." He countered, and held a hand out to me to help me up. I stood up and took in his face. I can tell he's conflicted about what I'm saying.

"Rafe he killed Gavin last night." I whispered and he pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. I'm a little surprised he knew but I guess I shouldn't be. "I was there, I saw it. If it comes down to you or him he's not choosing you."

"Listen to me Molly alright." He held onto my hands tightly. "I know you think you're helping me and that you can pull off this plan but it's not going to work."

"It is! I-"

"No!" He cut me off pulling me in closer to him. "Look if you're against my dad you're against me." My heart sunk at his words.

"That's not fair."

"He's my family." He reminded me and I rolled my eyes.

"If it's you or him Rafe I'm choosing you every time." A flicker of something crossed his eyes that I can't tell but he let go of the vice grip on my hands and instead laced his fingers through mine.

"I know." His voice got a lot softer at this and it made my heart crack even more. The only reason he's so defensive of Ward is because he wants his approval. The difference is that Ward will never choose him. I think the fact that he's hearing someone say they'd choose him actually gets to him. "You just did." I looked at him confused and realized he's right. I could've given up on him but I snapped him out of whatever he was thinking and convinced him to turn off the water instead of letting him obviously commit a murder and get put away for life. He leaned in and placed a soft kiss against my lips. "I love you Molly." I felt warmth spread through me at his words.

"I love you too." He rested his forehead against mine.

"You need to stay out of this okay?" I didn't say anything and he spoke again. "I don't want you caught in the middle of this anymore than you already are."

"Or." I pulled back a little to get a better look at him. "We can go with my plan, then catch a plane to the Bahamas, take the gold and run far away!"

"You and this fucking gold story." He replied with a laugh. "You might want to come up with a more believable one than that." I shook my head at this. He'll see one day when we get it back.

"I wouldn't lie to you Rafe." I told him and he raised his eyebrows at this.

"Do you really want me to respond to that?"

"I mean about something like this." I changed my point since I have in fact lied to him a lot. "If I can get back what your dad stole we would be set for the rest of our lives."

"You've been hanging out with Pogue's too much." He said, and shook his head. "That shits not real." I could feel my phone buzzing in my pocket but l ignored it knowing it's probably the three of them now.

"County club lets g-" I looked over to see Barry looking between us.

"Well shit look who it is." He taunted me and I shot Rafe a glare.

"It's not what you think it is." Rafe muttered, trying to reassure me that he's not mixing cocaine in with the rest of his problems. "I'll be there in a sec!" He yelled over to Barry.

"Remind me to keep yo number on speed dial princess." Barry remarked, and I rolled my eyes at him. I can't stand him. "Shit can come in handy to keep Country Club in line."

"Get the car!" Rafe snapped at him and he held his hands up in surrender before slinking back to wherever he came from.

"Why are you friends with that trash?" I asked him with a sigh.

"That's uh-a little hypocritical don't you think Mol?" I know my friends can do some stupid shit but they're nowhere near as grimy as Barry.

"Yeah." I shrugged, figuring it's better to just agree with him.

"I'll meet you at your place tonight alright?" He asked, and I nodded he gave my hands one last squeeze before taking off after his friend.

——————

How was this chapter?