Ch 8: A Night to Remember

Rose stepped out of her office building. Her mind was buzzing with the success of today’s preparations for the fashion week.

The evening was casting a rosy pink glow over the city as she visited the nearby flower shop, a place she often frequented. Taking a short walk in this lovely evening allowed her to witness the sight of people going about their lives.

As she approached the flower shop, the familiar fragrance of fresh flowers enveloped her in its embrace.

The florist, Mrs Johnson, was a friendly lady who knew Rose well. She greeted her with a smile. “The usual deep blue roses, Ms Rose?” she asked, already knowing the answer.

She nodded with a smile. While paying for the bouquet, a voice from behind startled her.

“I’ll get that,” the voice echoed through the air.

When she turned around, she saw that familiar face, those familiar soft Platinum locks, it was Shawn, standing right in front of her.

Rose felt surprised, but still responded with a sweet smile. “It’s okay, you don’t have to.”

But Shawn insisted, “Consider it a gift from me, please.”

First Alex’s party and now this chance encounter. Rose was filled with amusement, finding it utterly delightful how Shawn ended up standing before her, almost as if it was meant to be. Rose accepted his unexpected gesture with a smile.

As they were about to walk out of the flower shop, Mrs Johnson couldn’t contain her excitement any longer. “Oh, can I get an autograph, Mr Shawn?” she asked.

An innocent smile formed on his face. “Please, just call me Shawn.” He signed a piece of paper with a flair. “And of course, anything for a fan.”

Exiting the shop together, Rose couldn’t help but ask, “What are you doing here?”

Locking eyes with Rose, Shawn grinned. “I was just passing by, and I couldn’t believe it was you. So, I sent my manager home and decided to see for myself.”

Amused at his witty choice of words, Rose suggested, “Well, at least cover your face with a mask; we’re in public.”

Suppressing his laugh, Shawn put on his face mask, and as they continued to walk, Rose inquired, “So, where are you headed now? If you’re free, care to join me for dinner?”

He gladly accepted the invitation. The evening soon faded into the dark night sky as they strolled towards Rose’s office building. She asked Shawn to wait inside her car, as she needed to fetch something from her office.

“It’ll just take five minutes,” she assured him.

Shawn offered to help her, but Rose declined, insisting it was fine. After a couple of minutes, she returned to her car. Taking the driver’s seat, she handed Shawn an invitation to her upcoming fashion show.

Feeling grateful and excited, he remarked, “Oh, the fashion show is just a couple of days before my concert! It’s amazing that we’ll be in the city.”

Rose pretended to be surprised, concealing the knowledge that she was well aware. The car’s engine revved as she drove away to their next destination. Just then, Shawn asked if she received his other gift.

Puzzled, Rose asked in confusion, “What gift?”

With a playful grin forming on his lips, Shawn faced Rose, resting his chin on his hand standing on the passenger seat’s armrest, as he asked, “Did it not reach you? I sent it to your office.”

The soft golden lights illuminated their way. Rose gracefully steered the chic black car, as they passed by the Thames river. But she couldn’t resist asking about this mysterious gift. “So, what’s this gift you mentioned, Shawn?”