Forbearance and sanity (Ft. Rohit, Ajinkya - a hint of Virat.)

Forbearance and sanity (Ft. Rohit and Ajinkya - a hint of Virat.)

A/N - Sometimes a day of hell turns out to be not-so-bad, but yet the evening gives you a surprise (A not so good one). Well, the only thing you can really do is pray and move ahead; in that order.

God, give me patience.

I think you mean 'give me strength'.

If God gave me strength, you'd be dead.

"Ice cream?"

"Want me to put on weight?"

"I am having one too."

"... And your point is?"

"Are you calling me fat, Ajju?"

"No Rohit. You are the Captain. The entitlement of hurting someone remains with you, not little old  me...." Ajinkya looked over at Rohit. "Emphasis on old."

"And you are the Vice Captain, Ajju. And I really did not mean to laugh at you; pakka promise."

Ajinkya waved his heads and turned around to stare at the horizon; the last pink of the evening was leaving streaks across the sky. It was been heavily raining a while back and nature smelled fresh.

"It is not about that, Rohit. I have known you for too long to take your words seriously."

Rohit cocked his head and came over to slung an arm around his friend. " Then what is it, Jinksie?"

Ajinkya Rahane sighed. "There is a fleeting concern, a premonition if you will, that this season may be my last. That I may not have a comeback."

"Ajju? Why...?

Ajinkya interrupted Rohit. "Because it is what it is, Rohit. I do not lack in confidence. Well, I had, once upon a recent time, but Mahi Bhai pulled me out of that funk. I would not be standing here, if not for him. I owe him so much, Rohit."

"Bhaiya would protest; he will scold you. He hates saying things like owing successes; he says that all of us, we have inked our own victories."

"But that he will always be there to tide us over our defeats.'' Ajinkya finished.

Choosing a corner of the terrace, he sat right on the floor.

"Bhai came as my saviour in CSK and I started dreaming again, Rohit. But I am not complaining. It is just that, sometimes, I feel as if I have burned out too soon. I have only myself to blame but that laughter did not help."

Rohit was quiet for a long while and Ajinkya almost regretted voicing the innermost thoughts of his heart; yet, he could not keep everything to himself. He was the sane voice when it came to fights between Rohit and Virat, also when it came to dragging them out of whatever funk they had landed themselves into.

But yet there were incidents like Virat's stepping down as the captain of the India Test Team. There was Rohit's ascend to the top. And everything else in between.

"I did not mean... It was nothing but a reflex. But I did not understand that you....you were not in a good mind space. I am sorry, Ajju. We are so used to you being the shield that I took you for granted."

Ajinkya shook his head. "I do not mind that. And your success and Virat's, they are no less precious to me than my own. Don't mind me. I will be okay."

"Are you sure?" Rohit's hand fell on Ajinkya' shoulder and squeezed it. "I am here; whatever you may need."

There were a few stray thoughts taking flight around Ajinkya Rahane's mind and had been for a while, but he had always believed in maintaining silence if he had nothing worthwhile to speak of and here, he maintained the same; friendship notwithstanding. Rohit had enough on his plate without the added burdens.

"I am fine, Rohit, I...."

"Having a party without me?"

Rohit's face took on a comical mask and Ajinkya barely held back his laugh; let no one say that Virat did not know how to make an entry.

"You see food around, you despot? How can you have a party without food?"

"Well; you people are in luck that I was feeling so benevolent. Despite an idiotic captain calling me names."

Ajinkya reached out and moved Rohit around, bringing into focus a grinning Virat, carrying something behind his back which he now brought forward with a flourish.

"Ta da!!"

It was a bag full of things which turned out to be goodies of the food kind.

"Come on."

Virat placed a small blanket on the terrace floor and started spreading the fare.

"A flask of Adrak Chai, Black coffee, vegan low calorie chocolate cake, grilled fish for Jinksie, Varan Bhaat for Rohit dear and chole for me; I skipped the Bature."

"But of course." Rohit snarked and happily enough poured out a cup of tea.

"Are you okay?"

Ajinkya looked up at Virat and the intense understanding in them caused his eyes to water; he blinked rapidly and looked away. "I-I am fine."

A hand dropped on his head and fingers were carded through his hair.

"No, you are not, Jinksie. But you will be. You are so resilient; much more than me or Rohit. And you have MS's support too."

There was a pause and Ajinkya felt his heart lightening a little. Also Rohit Sharma thoroughly enjoying his lunch was quite a sight for sore eyes.

"We failed you rather spectacularly, didn't we, Jinks?"

Ajinkya Rahane wanted to protest, to negate the admission but truth had a way of getting under your skin and festering there; he nodded and shook his head at once.

"We did. You are a particularly wonderful human being, Jinks. Too little, too late, but can I do something?"

And finally, Ajinkya Rahane placed one stipulation,

"Promise me that you will never again let the world overlook Virat Kohli and you will ensure that Rohit keeps shining too?"

A hand was held out and Ajinkya held on to it.

"I promise."

Words seldom mean much but between friends, they meant everything and Ajju would hold on to them. The world may forget one Ajinkya Rahane but they will not be allowed to forget the trio of Virat, Rohit and Ajju.

A/N - Days are tough.

Do let me know your views.

This was mainly for @shewillhuntyoudown who wanted something with Jinks though I have goofed it up.

Your comments mean everything.

Take Care.