Chapter Four

(at)jamie.drysdale: So when and where am I picking you up?

(at)arabellakarter: i can go whenever, i figured i'd pick you up, since i know where we're going

(at)jamie.drysdale: Alright I guess I can't really argue with that logic, come to 2836 Camac street

(at)arabellakarter: perfect, i'll be there in 20 :)

I quickly fixed up my hair and put on some lip gloss before spraying some perfume. I grabbed the keys to my light blue 2022 Toyota Corolla hatchback and ran downstairs out of the apartment complex, getting into my car and pressing the start button. I plugged my phone in and typed in Jamie's address, also putting my music on shuffle. I shifted the gear and put it into first as I drove down the street, turning up all the one-ways and stopping at every light. I eventually made it to his house after a fifteen minute drive, parking in the uphill driveway, putting the car into neutral and pressing the parking break button. I grabbed my phone and messaged Jamie that I was outside, to which he immediately ran out of the house and to the passenger seat of my car. 

"Wow, nice ride." He said as he clicked his seatbelt, and I pushed down the parking break. I put the car into reverse and pulled out of the driveway, and started driving. 

"Thanks, I had to re-learn how to drive stick with it, the price was just too good to turn down." I said, laughing just a little bit.

"You taught yourself stick?"

"Kind of, my dad taught me when I got my learners permit, then when he passed away the next year and I had my full license I drove his car, just another thing that made me feel close to him. I got t-boned that winter and the car was totalled, so I didn't drive stick until last year again when I bought the car." I told him. 

"I'm so sorry you lost your dad, that must be so hard, he seemed like a great guy." Jamie said.

"It's okay, he was my best friend. He would've liked you. Maybe if we end up in North Bay I'll take you to his grave and you can meet him." I said, I could feel the beginnings of tears stinging my eyes and wanted to change the subject immediately. 

"I'd like that." Jamie said, smiling at me. He rested his hand on mine as I kept it on the gear shift. 

"Me too. But, I don't know about you but I need some coffee, so that's our first stop." I said, driving down to my work. We sat quietly for the five minute drive, until I parked in the parking lot and turned off the car. 

"This is my treat, I hope you know that." Jamie said as he opened the door to the shop for me.

"Bella!" Greg yelled as he saw us walk in. "You finally did it, you gave him your number!" 

"Not yet." I replied, smiling proudly at him. I knew it was still bothering Jamie a little bit that I hadn't given him my number, but I wanted to see what it was worth to him. 

"Who is this?" Tracy asked as she came to the till to take our order. 

"This is Jamie, Jamie this is Tracy." I said, introducing the two of them. Tracy was one of my favourite coworkers. Jamie had met everyone in the store other than her and Zoey. 

"So is this a first date?" Tracy asked.

"Not quite." I responded.