three

Irv

Irv

"Daddy could you read us another story?" Dominique asked.

"Princess, I already read y'all three. Daddy is tired, which mean y'all should be tired too. It's time to get some shut eye."

"You're only tired because your old!" Kyrie said throwing his two cents in.

"Old? I'll show you old!" I said, beginning to tickle him, and then his sister. "Come on, no more playing games. Goodnight, I love you both."

Closing the door to the twins' room, I retreated to the dining room with Denisha. Helping her clear the table from dinner, I was waiting for the kids to fall asleep just to focus solely on her. We talked about little things as we washed the dishes. Before retiring to her bedroom, I sat in the dining room to take a breather.

"You look exhausted."

"No kidding, this morning I just did two funerals. Turning right back around tomorrow to do it again. These boys had no families, no distant relatives living in a different state. They all was brought up together, fucking died together. Thousands or dollars for three caskets, that's not including funeral home cost. I tell you, they get you coming and going!"

"Why don't I run you a bath, we can relax together. Afterwards, I can give you an oiled up massage. Even tomorrow, I can come with you in support."

"The first half of that sounds real good, but no you are not coming with me."

Instantly when I turned her down, Denisha shoved my head in aggravation. "Why? I bet you going to have Korryn's ass with you!"

"First of all, no I'm not because that's dangerous and she knows better than to ask me that. Second, watch how you speak on my daughter."

"You make it seem like that's the only fucking kid you have!"

"Here we go with this again," I sighed.

"Yes, here we fucking go! Why Irv, why is it that she is the only one you can have around your business?"

"Korryn doesn't have a choice! I raised her all on my own, she doesn't have anybody else to go to if she loses me. Now that I established myself, I've met some classy women that will do anything for their children. I wasn't lucky with my first baby mother. If any nigga on the street found out about any of you, that's some real trouble for everyone. I'm talking death threats, kidnappings, real death! Last thing I need is for somebody to come for my family. I keep family and business separate; you know this."

"All I'm asking is to be a part of your life fully, 100 percent. I want more nights like this with the kids, I want a man! Not somebody that comes by just to give me some dick."

I turned looking back from the chair shockingly, "Oh you wanted some dick tonight?" I joked as if I didn't already know.

"Nothing is funny Irv! You don't call me your woman. You don't speak to me with compassion, you don't even say I love you. Not pressuring you to say it either, but I love you. I'm not going to get my feelings hurt if you not trying to return the same love."