15.THE UNCHANGED QUESTION

Twenty days have passed since I began staying here

Twenty days have passed since I began staying here. My eyes focused on him who was working on his laptop attending a virtual meeting with the directors. My ears were able to hear his voice discussing details related to music but not theirs as he linked airpods with his device.

The doctor has asked us to meet tomorrow for a further checkup and Arisa is visiting today as she arrived in Mumbai last evening. Geet Jija and Dhruv Jijosa learned about my accident when I notified them ten days back when I felt it wasn’t right to hide the truth from them with the excuse of case and I got to know about Aapsa’s heart attack as well but Jija informed me he is in pink of health. I have lied to the rest of them about my accident as I don’t want to disturb them.

“Ms.Avantika” His husky voice called me in the middle of his meeting.

I hummed in response.

“Your medicines.” His hand implied at the time. I nodded, picking the tablet from the medicine organizer placed on the bed and I ingested it down with the help of the water.

“Thank you, Mr.Dixit. See you at the studio next week” His lips turned up, his hand removed his airpods, and another hand  switched off his laptop.

He ambled along talking over the call, disappeared from my sight only to return with a fruit bowl with a poker face.

“Ms.Avantika” He handed me the fork to have my fruits.

“You can call me Avantika or Avanti,” I conveyed, grabbing the fork from his hand.

“Okay” He responded but I expected him to say - why Avantika? You should call me Garv too if that’s the case. 

Mr.Chauhan, why is the peculiar silence from your side stabbing my heart?

“Avantika” His hand reminded me to begin eating.

“Mr.Chauhan, you okay?” I asked him again as my customary routine. I take my medicines three times a day and on the other hand, I ask him the exact question three times a day as a part of my pattern.

“Yeah. I am fine” He repeated his usual  words, taking the support of his headboard, his hand scrolling his phone maybe to avoid further questions but my heart wanted to know his reason.

“I won’t beat around the bushes. Let’s get straight to the point.” I continued, making his eyes give all his attention to my words.

“What do you mean?” His brows joined hearing me and I took a breath, preparing myself to finally convey my thoughts to him.

“I know you are hiding. Something is bothering you” I started speaking.

“No Avantika” He replied, asking me to have my fruits, his index finger reminding me about the bowl placed in front of me.

“Your eyes are lying Mr.Chauhan '' I stated and paused expecting him to answer but he chose silence as a medium to answer my words.

“Mr.Chauhan, you aren’t happy. I have been noticing this change for nearly a month” I continued glimpsing at him but his eyes competed with how long it can stay on the bed sheets.