Chapter 5 - Dancing with Cinderella

~ The prince approached her, took her by the hand, and danced with her. ~

Peyton hated the fact that Duncan was always right.

He means - why did Duncan have to know more about his own career than he did?

That actually doesn't sound any better.

You see, Peyton had no idea how tonight was supposed to go. He was dreading having to announce tomorrow morning to the press that Evelyn had won the contest. Duncan's solution? Announce a different name.

The only problem to Duncan's plan was the fact that he didn't really know any other girl who wouldn't faint at the idea of going on a date with him.

(The last thing he needed was that)

(Though, picking Evelyn meant that he wouldn't have to deal with fainting women)

You see his dilemma?

But there was one thing he was sure of: he was going to make sure that whoever he picked wasn't crazy about him. He wanted someone who didn't own all of his songs and did a back flip every time he spoke.

It was currently eleven and the dance had started two hours ago. People came dressed in gowns and silk dresses. Apparently his father wanted him to make the event a formal, memorable one.

Peyton himself was also in a tux.

Peyton hated dressing up.

Sure, he wore a tux almost every time he went to an awards show, but that didn't mean that he didn't hate the whole ordeal. When he won an award he was supposed to act happy yet humble. When he didn't win he was supposed to look happy for the winner and a little upset at the same time.

He didn't understand his father's logic.

Why couldn't he just be himself?

The speakers had been blaring music from his latest album, even though he thought that was kind of unneeded since the dance itself promoted him enough as it is.

But now, the cover band his father had hired was singing.

He watched as each girl looked desperately through the crowd so they could convince him to let them win a date with him, but failing miserably. That was probably the only thing that he liked about this dance:

He got to wear a mask.

People weren't tripping over their own feet to meet him or clearing a pathway and rolling out the red carpet. People weren't asking for an autograph or a picture.

Instead, people were pushing and shoving him whenever he tried to go places. People didn't let him skip ahead in line or get to the punch first. People were being complete assholes.

And Peyton loved every second of it.

The only people who had recognized him so far were his father, Duncan, and the band.

He was currently leaning against the wall closest to the stage so he could watch the crowd for a girl to choose that wasn't Evelyn. Which, in all honesty, was harder than he thought that it would be.

That was when he spotted the most beautiful girl walking down the staircase and onto the dance floor.

She was wearing a gold and silver dress, a gown if you will. Her mask matched that of the girl next to her, who wore a dress of dark blue. He watched as everyone in the room turned to face her. Even the band's playing faltered. He could see, even from there, that she was uncomfortable in her heels.