Chapter 12 - Best friends know what's best

~He said that she was not the right one, and that the other sister should try on the shoe. ~

The first thing Peyton did after finding out that Evelyn had been lying to him the whole time was call up his best friend in the whole entire world, Duncan Grand.

"Wait, what?! You're actually being serious right now?"

Peyton sighed through the phone microphone. "Yes, Duncan."

He stifled his laughter. "Alright, I'll be there in twenty to do damage control."

And true to his word, Duncan showed up at his door nineteen minutes later, a smirk evident on his face.

"You got tricked by a blonde." He taunted.

Peyton sighed, again. "Yes, I know. Come inside before I throttle you."

When they reached Peyton's room, Duncan immediately took over the beanbag chair. Duncan, in case you haven't noticed, treated everything Peyton owned as his own.

Peyton even remembered the first day they ever met, kindergarten in Ms. Cameron's class.

"Watcha drawing?" a 5 year old Duncan had asked over Peyton's shoulder.

Peyton looked at his drawing, a quite hideous interpretation of Ms. Cameron. Her head took up half the page, with no neck or body. Pink arms sprouted where her ears should've been and two gruesomely long legs came out where her neck would've been, too skinny to provide any real support.

The hair was a fiery red mass that made him look like he was setting her on fire. The blue eyes took over the top half of her face, no pupils or white, her whole eyes were huge blue circles. Her lips were orange and drawn out in a shaky smile that showed huge contrast between the dark purple color of her head.

"It was supposed to be Ms. Cameron." Said Peyton, a plastic fire man's hat almost falling off of his head.

"Is it not still her?" Duncan asked, confused.

"Not really."

Duncan grabbed a black marker, "Maybe I can help you fix it."

They then proceeded to black out the entire page, drying out the poor black marker and getting blueish ink all over their hands and T-shirts.

Ms. Cameron had rushed them to the bathroom as soon as she noticed the catastrophe, definitely not happy with their antics. It took a whole roll of paper towels to clean them off, especially since he and Duncan ran around the classroom, refusing to be cleaned.

Peyton remembered that being his favorite day of kindergarten. Although, it probably wasn't Ms. Cameron's favorite day.

It also made him think about what his old teachers thought when they'd see his name on posters or hear his song on the radio. They knew him when he was a feisty little kid, and now he was internationally famous.

It made him think of what little kids he knew that could one day be famous.

Back to the present, Duncan was staring Peyton down with an amused glare.

"What?" Peyton asked, annoyed.

"I still can't believe that she tricked you."

Peyton let out a frustrated sigh. "Look, she knew the charms and she even brought me over to her house. She had the dress in her closet, and the shoes. How could she have not been my mystery girl?"

Peyton quickly glanced at Duncan from his bed, "You didn't tell her the charms, did you?"

"No, of course not. Why would I want you to be back together with that witch? Sorry dude, but I never believed her for a second. I only pretended to for your benefit." Duncan explained.