Chapter 9 - The Evil Queen always wins

~ The sisters did everything imaginable to hurt her. ~

Ana and Drew fancied themselves extremely good friends to Evelyn Queen. They were like her little spies. Nothing went on in this school without Evelyn knowing.

That's why they were stalking all the girls being interviewed by Peyton Charming that Monday morning.

Evelyn wanted them to find his mystery girl before he did, so that they could bribe her into silence. That way, Evelyn could get back together with Peyton and Ana and Drew got to be upgraded to Best Friend status.

It just so happened that they were standing a couple feet away from Cindy and Fanny's table when they started talking about the dance.

"Ana!" Drew hissed. "Look, little Miss Cinders is talking about the dance. She's probably jealous of the mystery girl."

They both turned their heads and listened.

". . . before I found out that he was the Peyton Charming. Trust me, he's better off not knowing that I'm his mystery girl."

Drew, immediately recognizing the significance of her step-sister's words, dragged Ana out of the cafeteria and into the nearest supply closet.

"That hurt, Drew!" Ana wined.

"Listen, you idiot! Didn't you hear what Cinders said? She thinks that she's Peyton's mystery girl. And. Most importantly, she doesn't want to tell him that she is."

"But how do we know that she isn't just delusional? I heard that ash inhalation can cause mental problems." Ana said.

Drew was startled for a second. Since when did her sister know random facts?

"Well, it would make sense if Peyton is looking for a charm bracelet. Didn't you ever notice that Cinders usually wears one? And now it's gone, coincidence? I think not!" Drew exclaimed.

"But mother didn't let her go to the dance. How could she have gone without a dress?"

Drew thought for a second. "I'm not sure, but if I know one thing, it's that she is not going to get away with taking away Peyton Charming from our best friend."

So the two sisters did the only rational thing that came to their minds, they brought the horrible news to Evelyn.

"What?" Evelyn practically screamed.

They had found her and dragged her into the same closet, thankfully they were able to get the whole explanation in before Evelyn could complain about their accommodations.

"Peyton fell for that little rat? He chose pond scum like her over someone like me? How is that even possible?"

Ana looked down. "Well, considering he didn't see her face, he doesn't technically know what she looks like. For all he knows, it could've been you. It's been like a couple of years since he's seen you, maybe your personality could've drastically changed."

Drew looked at her sister. Never before had she had such an intelligent thought.

Evelyn got a diabolical look on her face. "Yes, that's brilliant. We need to convince him that I was his mystery girl. And I know exactly how to do it."

*

*

*

Cindy absolutely hated school. Everywhere she turned she saw those stupid posters. Everyone she talked to was just about as obsessed with finding Peyton's Cinderella as Peyton himself.