War Cries

Elizabeth's POV

An eery silence had settled over us all.

As soon as we felt them coming, everyone made a mad dash to their weapons. The wolves that were going to fight, geared up. Each wolf that was fighting grabbed at least one gun, a bow and arrows, a bottle full of an elixir, and a flare.

When all of the fighting wolves were geared up, everyone went to their loved ones. There were many tears shed, loud sobs, and for some, last goodbyes. I could feel myself get choked up at the thought that some of us, many of us, may not return to the arms of our loved ones. I saw one family hugging each other, sobbing. I turned away with a pang in my chest, and walked to where Fidelis was talking to all of the warriors.

He glanced over at me and I nodded my head at him, signaling that we had to go.

"It's time!" He said through the mind link. Everyone looked up and solemnly nodded. The brave wolves that were fighting stood up in front of their families, looked at Fidelis and I, and bowed their heads as they kneeled, their right fist across their chest. They all then stood up in unison and took two steps forward, circling Fidelis and I.

I was slightly surprised at the amount of respect their gestures held. My pride and returned respect for them spilled out into the mind link as I looked each of them in the eye. The connection we all had was something that filled me with warmth.

We all headed out of the pack house to stand in front of it, lining up. Fidelis and I, standing in the front, looked up to the sky and howled while shifting into our wolf. Our pack members joined us and together, our howls mixed, asking the Moon Goddess to watch over us in our fight.

"May you leave with the love and protection of the Goddess and return home safely." Lilliana sent to us using her magic. We all bowed our heads and then took of into the forest, towards where the edge of the territory.

We all stopped and waited, our apprehension growing with every passing moment. The wind was blowing through my fur, leaves flying around. My ears were at attention, listening for them.

A twig snapped from a few meters away and we all began to growl. My parents and Ray were the first one's to emerge from the trees into the clearing. I could see Fidelis' eyes change colors and I sent some comfort through our bond to him.

I shifted and grabbed a long shirt from inside a hollow tree to throw on. I took a step forward and stopped. I sent them an icy glare and a cold smirk.

"Why, hello Mom. Pops. Ray. What a lovely surprise." My voice dripped with venom and I could see all three of them flinch. My mother and father recovered quickly but Ray still looked hurt.

"You're no daughter of mine. You're the spawn of the devil!" My mother spat and I gave a dry chuckle.

"Is that right? You hear that guys? I'm the spawn of the devil!" My pack growled at the trio and they all took a step back.

"I told you that we would be back and this time, you won't be leaving alive." I looked at Ray, a bored look on my face and Fidelis snarled at him. I was about to reply, but a girl from the pack shifted and whimpered.

"Mate." She whispered and Ray's gaze zeroed in on her. His eyes softened and the Ray that I used to know seemed to be coming back.

He took a small step towards her, standing right up against the territorial line. She walked closer to him but fell to the ground with a whimper, an arrow protruding from her leg. Ray's eyes widened in horror and my mother grinned maniacally.

"I will NOT allow my son to taint this family with the blood of a mutt!" The whole pack snarled and Fidelis roared. I walked over to Ray's mate, put a protective shield around us and helped her up. I looked at Ray and snarled.