Chapter 6: A Sense of Doubt (Part 2)

"Lexis, what is the matter?" she asked after neither of us said anything.

I haven't talked much since she mentioned the celebration. My departure had been all that I could think about and whether it was the right thing to do. I didn't even know what was right. But, that wasn't all.

Leaving wouldn't be enough, would it? Father wanted her killed. He wanted me to not have loose ends. I couldn't kill her. I wouldn't. 

You are your father's son. Do not turn your back on him. Loyalty, Alexious.

Loyalty. He intervened with everything I did. My father was implanted in my own mind. Even my mind screamed warnings about what he might do and what I should do. Why did he have to ruin everything?

"I am fine, mostly. Do not worry. Anyways, celebration?" I asked again, flashing the best fake smile I could do. Clearly she didn't believe it.

"You are deflecting from the subject. You can speak anything to me; do not bury your secrets. I am quite a keeper." she smiled.

Do not do that, Sapphira. Do not let me in into your world, do not let me be meaningful to you because I cannot. I will only destroy you.

She was encouraging me to let her know what was troubling me. But she could not know, she was a part of the plan. Unfortunately, she was the one that needed to suffer. She needed to die, in order for my father to get what he wanted.I couldn't let him down. I couldn't become my brother. 

My father... he always got what he wanted.

I must kill her.

***

Sapphira has left to do some dress measurements with Aurellia and has asked me to stay in her garden until she returns. I didn't have a problem with that, so I waited here, sitting on the balcony that showed the horizons and the whole city of Althea, the city whose Princess I was soon to kill.

I regretted everything. Being here was the biggest mistake I could ever have made, this place had changed me. Was it a better change? I didn't know. Did it really matter?  Being a different man wouldn't matter much would it? She wouldn't be there to see it.

I could hear sounds of footsteps on the grass. Someone was here. Someone who shouldn't be here. I quietly took my bow and arrow from my back and readied my aim. I wouldn't kill the person, I could see his loose shirt hanging, maybe I could just make the arrow stick him to the wall. I stepped one of my leg backwards, I was getting ready to shoot the bow before I realized who it was. It was Loukianos, Sapphira's brother. 

"Your Highness. The Princess is not here" I bowed. He didn't look surprised and he looked like he was expecting me.

"Oh, where is she, my sister?" he asked again. His tone arrogant, the voice of a spoiled rich boy. Nose held high, everyone in the world was beneath him, none reached the glory of his station.

"Attire preparations, part of the party necessities. Your Highness."

"Huh, I was not informed with that. Then I shall wait here. What name do you bear, slave? If I recall correctly, you are my sister's guardian?"

"Lexis, and yes for the moment I am the Princess's Guardian."

"Lexis? Very creative—I mean it is a fine name. " He blurted out laughing as soon as I said my name. As if he knew better. Who was he really?

Should I watch out for this man? Could he be one who is clever enough to unravel my lies?

"Thank you." I said again with a bit of wonder. His reaction was odd and it left me uncomforted. But again, I could begin to befriend him right then. It was a chance.