Chapter 10: Ultimate Sincerity (Part 3)

"Where exactly did you ask your men to wait?" I asked Evander as I felt that we had been walking for quite some time and there was no sign of other people at all. I knew I had seen that large three about three times. 

"We must pass one of the larger trees south from here then they would be waiting there." He said surely and walked in front of us, guiding our ways. I didn't trust he actually knew his way. Kings don't do their own navigating. But, I could trust he'd do right by her. He loved her too. 

I didn't know where this tree was, so I had to follow him. But, I was walking next to Sapphira. Thus, not such a bad bargain. Yet, I could feel something. Like a fear hiding behind my eyes, brewing steadily that danger was coming. Evander might just get us killed. As if on cue, a dagger shot through the trees, missing my face by an inch and landed on the tree to my left. 

Someone was following us. I couldn't locate them. I didn't know where they were! I hunched, going closer to that tree. I had to see that dagger. The sight made my body cold. Wooden grip, iron blade. The spartan sigil on its grip. It was my father's army. Someone found us. 

"We need to move fast!" I yelled, turning sharply back and grabbing Sapphira's arm. I pulled her with me, pumping my legs, forcing her to move faster. The ground was overgrown with bushes and sharp branches, but small scratches were the least of my concern. 

"Alexious, calm. She is withchild." Evander stormed back, blocking my path. 

"I'd rather she walk faster than see her killed." I stared him down. "Move, Sapphira!" I pulled again, not gentle, but quick. 

Another blade came out of nowhere, but I guessed where it was heading. I jumped in front of Sapphira The blade struck hard and exactly, stabbing my shoulder. I growled as I pulled the dagger out. Then, as the blood flowed a little , I flexed the arm feeling if I could still use it to fight,

I fell to the ground. Pain was stabbing through my joints, blood was slithering from my wound. Struggling, still I stood back up, and from the corner of my eyes I could see the soldiers appearing from far away behind. Even If I tried, I wouldn't be able to out run them because of my wound. But, she could. She and Evander could out run them.

"They are here. Sapphira, listen to me. You need to run as fast as you can. Don't look back." I grabbed her by the shoulders and forced to look at listen to me.

"What are you doing?" she asked a little confused, and looked at my wound.

"I can't run, you can. I'll hold them back as long as I can, just go now! Evander take her and leave!!" I pushed to Evander, giving him my trust to protect Sapphira because right then he was the only I could. I know he loved her too, but I hated to admit that, but I know that he would do anything for her. That at least we had in common. I turned my attention back to the soldiers who were running towards us with different kinds of weapons ready in their hands. I felt the rush of adrenaline streaming into my veins and there was hint of excitement, and maybe a bit of fear.

I took out my blade, and was steadying myself.

One guard threw his spear and I evaded, running towards the other that was holding his xiphos in the air, I jumped and stabbed him in the head, one down and many more to go. I stabbed to my right where another was readying his blade to cut me; he dropped to the ground in pain, being stabbed with a sharp sword was certainly not a great feeling. Then came another guard, a much larger man, a much harder target. I tried to cut him, but his blade met mine, strike by strike he was able to defend himself, but then I got an idea. I ran towards one of the trees where he chased me and I used the tree as a platform to jump up and land on the man's shoulder, From there I slit his throat. The blood pooled out of his chest almost like a broken wine jug with red sticky liquid bathing him almost like a preparation for a ritual.