Chapter 6: A sense of doubt (Part 1)

Time.

I completely hated you.

I walked around the curve of the pathway that was not too far from the palace's entrance. The pathway was an asset for the front garden which was quite sophisticated. But, I was too annoyed to even think of beautiful things. I had no reason to be out here but no reason to be inside. 

The royals and the other one hundred people that I have no intention to be around were in the throne room having a great time. I could be next to Sapphira but, I did not think that my annoyance towards her brothers could be tamed at this particular moment. I was angry. The royals were having a small celebration. A sudden celebration that I was not really keen to be a part of. I wasn't glad that the brothers arrived safely.

It seemed to me more and more people were coming to the palace. Everyone came for different purposes  but all with chances to intervene with my mission. The arrival of three brothers wasn't a coincidence. They must have meant to arrive together. Whatever reason lies behind it, I did fear it.

 I kicked a pebble into the distance. I hated not knowing and I hated that I would not be able to leave this place soon. I couldn't be here for too long. I could not.

With the look of things, how could I possibly steal the weapon without a soul knowing? The three brothers added protection to the palace which was not good for me. Surely, they would notice an important weapon missing and the vanishing of their sister's guardian? Even if I were to succeed in stealing the weapon, it would take seconds for them to realize who stole it and I would not have the time to vanish from Athens before they executed me. In plain words, it was impossible. What was I to do?

Befriend them, Alexious.

Befriend the brothers? Why on earth would I—actually that would work. Friends trusted each other. If I were to be friends with them, they would not be as suspicious of me if the weapon and I were suddenly missing. Sure, there would be speculation with my name but I would be safe and sound in Sparta before the idea could even form.

"Lexis? What are you doing here?" Sapphira's voice quietly materialized from behind me. She must have noticed me missing from the celebration. She came closer and stood beside me. Her expression was light and relaxed, she didn't reject me anymore. My willingness to protect her must have made her like me more.

"Nothing, Sapphira. I needed some air. Apologies if I left abruptly," I said, flashing a small smile. 

"I understand. I need some breathing air as well. There were these women, Roman women, walking around with some strong oddly smelling perfume that I almost fainted due to the reek,"

I burst out laughing.

"And what did you say to them?" I asked, curious and excited with this new and improved Sapphira.

 "I politely said, 'Tatiana your scent is such a lovely appealing smell, I cannot help but wonder why these men would not notice you.' " she said again while rolling her eyes at her last comment.

I laughed again and she did too. We spent the time telling each other hilarious stories until I laughed so hard that suddenly I was on the earth rolling in laughter. She was almost sobbing with tears because she laughed so hard, her hands were on her stomach trying to ease the laughter. I was still laughing softly as I stood up and she was still giggling as well.

 "Lexis I swear—"she took a step forward when she slipped over the mud which was concealed by the calmness look of the dirt. I jumped forward as a reflex and caught her by my arms.

All of a sudden, I felt that the world paused.

The only thing that I could notice was her brown eyes. They were like crystal gleaming with affection. I felt —as impossible as it sounded— her eyes were slowly diving into my soul and opening the door of  my heart's uncertainty. As if she was inside that room behind the door, discovering and learning who I really was. Her eyes were extraordinary, intoxicated me every time it set glimpses at me, it was insane but it was good. Her eyes, her gaze comforted me in a way that I didn't have the words to explain, in a way that could only be felt and not understood. What was this?