Worried

Thanks to all the phenomenal readers who voted or commented on the previous chapter or added Kingsfoil to their reading lists: CJ_Callahan90, princesswithashotgun, esther89110, SparklesJustReads lidiaaaa_503, Elf_and_an_agent, TiedinRed, Ichijou_Yuu, MrsMStyles13, Lotr_elves_tolkien, Leilani_Fox, WoodElf_Fyleth, pnd1230, ShaeLeeSnow, EareaneOfMirkwood, Tammyt70, syxhirxhnx, OliviaSmith115, rose5607, ladyghostofarose, sasha_evans2015, chacha1973, lidiaaaa_503, NettleGoblinshimmer, tolkienfan00, The_Midnight_Fangirl, GG-Dreamer! 

You all inspire me and I'm just so grateful for the support you've shown this story! :D

So, I just thought I would take a minute to explain feä and hroä. 

Basically, Tolkien explains that the feä is like the soul or spirit, and the hroä is the physical body of the elf. Both are connected and codependent. It's why elves can die of grief or heartbreak. If their feä is damaged, then their hroä will start to die, or vice versa.

  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

Three Hundred Years Ago...

Thaliniel sat down next to her sister on the settee by the fire in their shared sitting room. She looked amusedly at what Narylfiel had in her lap. "Embroidery?" she asked curiously.

Narylfiel tried to stuff the design behind a cushion before her sister grabbed the corner and tugged it out.

"Oh, it's..." Thaliniel stared at the piece and then tried tilting her head to make-out the subject.

"It is supposed to be a Great Elk tea cozy," sighed Narylfiel, taking the offending piece of muslin from her sister's hand. "It's horrid, I know, but the king's name day is approaching..." She looked at it disgustedly and then wadded it up. "Hopeless."

"Well," Thaliniel paused, trying to think of something tactful to say, "it is a nice gesture. I think the king would like that you tried embroidery."

"You think so?" Narylfiel hopefully unwadded the fabric.

"No," remarked a voice from the door. "He'll hate it for sure."