Perfect

Epilogue

Epilogue

Dawn came slowly across the tops of the trees, filtering light gold and green. Spring had come once again to Eryn Lasgalen. There was something in the air, a quickening vibrance which had the tiny saplings on the southern edge of the forest shooting up at twice as fast. The fire last year cleared much of the undergrowth, the spiders' webs, the rotting damaged trees, and now the forest was awash in new growth, new life abundant. The Elvenking's halls were no exception.

Seldom had the kingdom of the Woodland Realm been in such an uproar. Of course, there had been that time with the dwarves' escape, but no one liked to acknowledge that unfortunate incident. Early in the dark hours of the morning, a faint cry followed by a much louder one broke the silence of the Elvenking's halls, and a flurry of excited whispers raced from mouth to ear to mouth to ear that King Thranduil and Queen Narylfiel had welcomed a baby girl into the royal family.

Among the first in line to visit the new princess was her brother, Prince Legolas and his wife, proudly bearing their own new addition to the line of Oropher, a handsome young princeling.

When finally allowed admittance by a most formidable Huredhiel who solemnly warned the prince that this would be a brief visit as both mother and child needed to rest, Legolas and Thaliniel quietly opened the door to see Narylfiel in bed holding a silky blanketed bundle and Thranduil standing to the side, looking down with immense satisfaction.

Thaliniel was all smiles. "Narylfiel, you should have sent for me," she chided softly.

"And disrupt your few precious hours of sleep? Don't be silly."

She's beautiful." Legolas declared as he carefully picked up the baby. "Looks like our bloodline still runs strong, Father. Beautiful fair hair and blue eyes. I can't see a bit of you in her, Narylfiel," he teased.

"What are you naming her?" Thaliniel wanted to know.

Narylfiel and Thranduil shared a glance. "Lithôniel."

Legolas looked up with a smile. "That was my grandmother's name."

Thaliniel looked down at the bundle in her arms. "Did you hear that?" she asked her baby who looked on with wide eyes. "Lithôniel," she repeated. "The name of your new best friend."

"And aunt," added Legolas cheerfully.

Narylfiel bit her lip. "Or cousin?"

"Aunt-Cousin?" Legolas tried the words out and shook his head. "Poor kids. It's completely confusing to me, and I've had half a year to think about it."

Thranduil placed a hand on his son's shoulder. "You were never exactly the sharpest arrow in the quiver, son."

"Don't listen to a word he says," Legolas cooed to the baby. "Your older brother Legolas is an expert in all things!"