Chapter 6: Don't make a sound

Now what? We were standing in the middle of a dark, deserted road. All the lights were out, it was practically midnight and the lid could pop open any second. Where the hell are we supposed to go now?

11:18pm. 85% battery is what I saw on my phone.

"C'mon, Kristen. We gotta find a place to spend the night. It's not safe out here."

We started walking quickly yet quietly down the road. The smell was terrible! As if there were month's old garbage everywhere mixed in with a bunch of people who hadn't showered for weeks. It felt as if there was no sign of humanity anywhere.

When we got to the end of the road, we made a left turn and then a right and a couple more after. I had too much on my mind right now to remember all the turns we made. There were finally buildings and shops where we could hopefully find one to camp out in for the night. Except they were all as dark as hell. No lights anywhere.

Many of the buildings we came across had smashed windows, pieces of glass on the floor, broken doors, crooked signs and blood everywhere... I really don't wanna know what happened here.

We finally found a little convenient store. It was in pretty good shape compared to the rest and plus, there must be loads of food and bottled water in convenient stores. We were in desperate need of food and water. Taylor tried to open the door but it was locked. He tried pushing and pulling but it was no use - it wouldn't budge. Smashing and breaking the door open would be no use because, one, it would cause one hell of a commotion down these tranquil streets and who knows how close the zombies are and, second, it would be less safe for us to spend the night here with the door broken down.

The only way was to pick the lock or find another store but who even knows how far we have to walk until we find another store in good condition. Oh wait! I just remembered I had that pocket knife Taylor got from the front desk this morning in my backpack! I rumbled through my bag and found loads of stuff I didn't even know I had in there. Tissues, mints, pack of gum, pencils, scrunched up pieces of paper and... Oh! Found it! I passed the knife to Taylor. It was one of those special pocket knives that had a couple different sizes that you could flip up and hopefully the smallest blade's able to do the trick.

"You know, when I was little, my dad used to teach me how to pick locks. Let's see if I still remember how to."

"Just pick the lock, Taylor. Before we-"

I looked to my left and in the far distance, I caught a glimpse of shadows walking around. I looked more in depth and they were definitely bodies. Bodies of the infected, not humans. I could tell by their jagged walking and demented look of their limbs. My legs got weak all of a sudden and I started stumbling over my feet. I managed to catch my balance as I fell backwards a bit but I ended up tipping over a tin trashcan.

PLINGGGG! PLANGGGGG!

Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit! That's not good. That's REALLY not good.

The eerie and deafening sound made the zombies perk up and start walking towards us. Slowly at first, then picking up pace. Faster and faster.

Taylor caught on before I even had to say anything. His hands were working faster than ever trying to pick the lock.

About 15 seconds before they get to us. Hurry up! Hurry up! I actually started to feel hopeless and was about to grab Taylor and start running away but then I heard a click. I felt a hand clench onto my wrist and before I knew it, I was in the store.

Taylor shut the door and we hid behind some shelves. Seconds later, we saw the zombies run by at high speed down the road, hitting the trashcan I knocked over. There were at least thirty of them. We would've been trampled, they would've bit us. I shudder at the thought. Thank goodness they didn't see us go into the store. Maybe they see better in daylight, but I'm definitely not complaining.

"Kristen, watch where you're going next time. We almost got killed! I nearly had a heart attack trying to pick that lock."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I panicked for a second."

Both of us were still recovering from what just happened. We were too scared to move a muscle. At least we're safe here...for now.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Obviously I wasn't going to let Kristen and Taylor die lol so that was kinda obvious but it's okay (;

It's been SO long since I've written. I AM SORRY. I get so busy and I tend to always forget about wattpad!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter though! I had fun writing this one haha

I think I'm gonna work on my other story for a bit so pop on over to that one if you haven't read it yet!

Also, follow my instagram:
@/forevertwilightpictures !