Chapter 4: Just go with it

We all froze. Was the thump from real people or from the infected ones?

We heard muffled yelling from the other side of the door. It was just loud enough so we could make out what it was yelling. "Help! Please help us! Open the door!"

None of us moved. John spoke up. "Should we open it?"

Taylor nodded and moved his hand to the handle. He was just about to pull it when there were loud, repeated thumps on the door. Loud and petrifying screams pierced our ears. They sounded like...no! Could it be?? Have the "infected ones" caught up with us??

There was a moment of silence and it felt good but it didn't last longer than about three seconds. 

The repeated thumps on the door came back...and there was no sign of them stopping.

"Let's face it, they're zombies. On the other side of that door, we're being bombarded by them. I've seen a human get bitten by one of them and the 'infected ones' reflect all the traits of a zombie. This IS a zombie appocalypse," I said, half yelling because the thumps were just beyond loud.

Well, where are we gonna go?! We can't stay here forever! That door is going to break soon if they keep pounding on it!" Caroline said. I think that was quite obvious to everyone right now.

"But Daddy, Daddy! I saw in a movie, there was an underground tunnel and if you keep on walking, it leads to a world full of magical rainbows and unicorns! We are in an underground tunnel and what if that happens to us!" Julie said.

"That's stupi-"

I cut John off. "You know, that's not half bad. Obviously we're not gonna find unicorns and rainbows, sorry, Julie, but we probably will find a ladder or something that leads to one of those sewer covers on the streets if we keep walking."

We all looked at each other and without saying anything, our eyes told each other that we were gonna walk until we find that ladder to the sewer cover.

We had to walk for a couple minutes for all the pounding to be fully gone. Boy, do tunnels really echo. At least we were safe for now...? Who knows how long that door could hold the..zombies. Man, just thinking about that word made me skip a beat.

...

I checked my phone- 1:56pm. I think we'd been walking for almost an hour. It felt as if this tunnel has no end.

"I'm tired!! I don't wanna walk any longer!" out blurted Julie and Casey.

"Do you guys just wanna sleep now and 'till the next morning? It's been a hectic day and I think we all could use a little bit of sleep," John said.

"Yes, I bet we're all pretty tired. And also, one of us could watch out for any suspicious things that could happen for an hour or so and then we could keep rotating? I'll take the first shift if that's okay," Taylor suggested.

"That's fine. Just wake up any one of us anytime, except the kids of course, if you feel tired and need somebody for the next shift."

"Sounds good, John. Night everyone. Well, it's not "night" yet but you get the point," said Taylor. Smooth words, Tay. I chuckled to myself.

...

Everyone fell asleep so quickly that it happened within the first five minutes and I looked over to Taylor. He was sitting down not far away from me so I scooched over to him. I put my head on his shoulder and he put his arm around me. I felt at least a hundred times safer next to him.

"Do you think we're all gonna be alright?," I asked him.

"I'm not gonna doubt ourselves so I'll say I'm pretty damn sure we'll be okay." He smiled at me and it made me feel as warm as sitting in front of a fireplace, even though it was freezing cold in this tunnel and I, in fact, all of us only had sweaters.

For some reason, I still remembered that I had cookies, from when Taylor got them at the front desk, in my backpack. I was hungry but I decided to ignore my temptation of eating them and save them for a more serious crisis.

"Hey, stop thinking and get some sleep." Taylor's voice startled me and my thoughts. "We're gonna be fine. I'm gonna keep watch." 

"Mkay. See ya," I said.

As my eyes started fluttering shut, I felt his lips gently kiss the top of my forehead and for a second, I thought we weren't going through this living hell.

___________________________________________________________________________

OMG it's been 2013 Christmas since I've posted the last chapter! I am sooo sorry! Life has been so busy and I'm pretty sure everyone has forgot about my story LOL.

I am aware that this chapter (basically this whole story) is crap but I'm very dedicated to writing it and finishing this no matter how long it takes?

Okay, so I'm uploading this right now and there might be a lot of flaws and information errors but I'll try to fix them if i catch any.

So that's all I'm going to say I guess! So please read (obviously), vote (PLEASE) and comment what you thought about this! (Don't be afraid to comment errors if you catch any. I am open to corrections!) Message me if you have questions or suggestions or so (: Enjoy!