Chapter 5: There's no turning back

I woke up and checked my phone- 10:06pm. I had slept for about a good eight hours though my eyes were still so heavy. My phone was also at 87% battery, surprisingly it hasn't drained a lot yet.

I propped my head up and looked around. Taylor was on the left of me fast asleep and the family of four was a couple metres away from my right who were also asleep. Wait a second... if everyone's sleeping, who was keeping watch?

This is bad. This IS bad. How long was no one keeping watch for? Who was the moron that fell asleep while it was their turn to keep watch!? Those zombies could've possibly broke through that door and caught up to us and ate our brains out just beca- I stopped myself for a second. Take a deep breath. I'm just being ridiculous and overthinking this. The most important thing is that we're all alright and still together.

I turned to my left to face Taylor. He had the most adorable sleeping face ever. He has such rosy cheeks at the moment and he just... looks so perfect. I could stare at him for what seems to be as long as forever but I decided to wake him up anyways.

I nudged him while I called out his name. "Taylor." I had to nudge him a couple more times before he started to wake.

"Oh, hey Kristen. Is it morning yet?"

"Not exactly... I mean, it's around 10:00pm right now. We all slept at, like, 2:00pm, remember?"

"I believe you. At this point, I don't think anyone but you is keeping track of the time."

I'm guessing that's a good thing.

Taylor started rumbling through his pockets and then he pulled out the small flashlight he got back at the desk of the reception area. He turned it on so that we could see better in this dark tunnel.

I just remebered that Taylor didn't have breakfast this morning. He must be hungry. I was a little too.

"Want some cookies?"

"Gosh, yes. I'm starving. I totally forgot that I got these from the desk too," he mumbled while crunching on the cookie he stuffed in his mouth.

"Can ya keep it down please?" said an annoyed Caroline while she tossed and turned until her back was facing us.

Taylor and I gave each other a glance and seconds later, we started laughing hysterically.

"SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!" She sounded as if she could kill.

We just couldn't help our laughter. There was something in the tone of her voice that made us keep laughing. Well, I guess it's also because everything's always funnier with your best friend.

Our laughter died down in a few minutes and it was dead silent in the tunnel.

Taylor went back sound asleep and the family of four were also. To be honest, it was quite creepy being awake all alone.

I switched off the flashlight Taylor had turned on earlier to conserve its battery. I also put the cookies we didn't finish back in my bag.

I leaned back against the wall and fiddled with my fingers... what if we don't survive this? I couldn't clearly grasp what had happened to New York City. Had the zombies made it out of New York and into other states? Oh, how I wish this was all a joke. Or even better, I wish it was for filming a movie. The storyline would make for such an intriguing movie and I'd watch...

...

PLING!

...

WHAT WAS THAT! I jolted up to catch my breath. I had drifted off earlier and that was a horrifying sound to wake up to.