Chapter 4- Lips of an Angel

“Lips of an Angel”

Chapter 4 (Heather)

I parked in front of the familiar two story red brick house that at one time was like a second home to me.  Turning off the ignition I just sat there and sighed.  This was Charlie’s home.  Even though it had only been several years since I had last been here, it felt like a life time ago.

The first thing that I noticed was the white wooden swing that still hung on the front porch.  Closing my eyes I remembered as clearly as if it had happened only yesterday sitting on that swing and receiving my very first kiss from none other than a younger Charlie Shoffner.

I was a naive sixteen year old little girl with my long hair drawn up into a pony tail and my heart thumping in my chest as fast as a humming bird’s wings.  Charlie took my chin in his large hand and tilted my face so that his mouth could tenderly claim mine.  His lips were firm but yet soft and all dominance.  He tentatively licked at my lower lip sweetly asking for entrance to my mouth.

At the time I wasn’t exactly sure what it was that he wanted.  His free hand lifted under the hem of my shirt to caress the bare skin at the bottom of my back causing the slightest of moans to escape from my lips.  It was then that I suddenly realized his intentions.  My mouth opened on its own accord and Charlie took full advantage by pressing his tongue forward to explore the warm heat of my mouth. 

At first I was caught off guard and a little shocked by his boldness.  And then all too soon I found my self completely lost in his kiss.  I joined with him in a mating of our tongues that danced a dance as old as time.  I felt like I was riding a wave of passion that continued to crest towards something so much more before he finally pulled back and gazed into my haze filled eyes.

  Opening my eyes I brought myself back to the present.  Realization dawned on me that so much time had passed since that perfect day and so many circumstances have changed.  I was the one that left Charlie behind and he chose to move on.   That was supposed to be a good thing, right?

  I tried repeatedly to tell myself that this was the best possible scenario, coming home and finding Charlie happy.  Yet, I felt like my heart was being ripped into shreds.  I don’t know what I was thinking would happen if I came back here.  Dredging up old feelings filled with heart aches and pain, I should have known that nothing good would come by me returning home.

  “What are you doing Heather?” I muttered irritated with myself more than anything else at the moment. 

  Rubbing the space between my temples in an effort to ward off the impending headache I let out a deep breath of air and stared out the front windshield of the car. 

 If I was smart I would start the car and back out of the driveway before anyone had the chance to see me.  I should just gun the engine and hightail it back to Kansas as fast as possible.

  Yep and that is exactly what I was getting ready to do until a tall, dark headed shadowy figure stepped out onto the front porch and partially waved at me.  “Rio”

  Too late, I thought to myself stupidly.  Two freaking minutes too late on deciding whether or not I should stay or go.  If I hadn’t relived that stupid kiss I could have been on the highway by now, leaving this town, my past and Charlie behind. 

  Resigned to my fate I grudgingly opened the door and stepped out of the car.  I inhaled a deep breath of air to compose myself and the started for the porch.  Pasting on a smile I looked up at Rio, once a really good friend of mine and in a weak voice squeaked out a weak  “Hello.”