Chapter 5- Lips of an Angel

“Lips of an Angel”

Chapter 5 (Charlie)

I stepped out on the porch because I had heard a commotion outside only to have Rio brush by me angrily.  I stared at his back as he stomped back into the house with the screen door slamming shut behind him.

 “What the hell man?” I muttered but he was already too far away to hear me.

Turning back around I peered out at the yard only to see a small form huddled over in the grass.

 It didn’t take long for me to realize that it was Heather and that she was crying.  Quickly putting two and two together I figured that Rio had to have said or done something to upset her.

 “Damn”

 Jumping off the steps I ran towards her and kneeled by her side.  “Heather” I called out softly.

 She lifted her head and everything inside me wanted to rail.  The pain written on her face was clear as a bell and her eyes got me.  Her normally blue, vibrant eyes were red and swollen; glistening with the tears she had yet to shed.

I couldn’t stop myself from reaching out when one of the run away tears escaped and ran down her cheek.  I wiped away the tear, wishing that I could wipe away her pain in the same manner.    

 “What the hell happened?” I asked trying to keep my voice as neutral as possible. 

 Heather only shook her head at me. “Nothing Charlie ….. It was nothing, really.” She said struggling to regain her composure.

 She glanced down at her hand and I followed her line of sight to see that she was staring down at a quarter.  I briefly wondered what, if any, significance that quarter meant to what just went down in my front yard.

 “Heather, don’t you dare lie to me." I said with a hint of irritation in my voice.  Pushing forward I continued, "Something sure as hell  happened and I want to know what it was.  Look at you for crying out loud.  Rio said something didn’t he?” I asked impatiently.

 Heather scrambled to stand and almost lost her balance in a hurry to get to her feet.  Instinctively, I reached down and grabbed her by the elbow to help steady her so that she wouldn’t fall backwards on her backside.  The instant that I made contact with her skin an indescribable warmth seeped into my fingertips and spread throughout my body.

That one simple touch momentarily took me back to a time all those years ago when we both couldn’t seem to keep our hands off of each other.  A time that I have desperately tried so hard to forget.

 Heather regained her balance and stood as erect as a sewing needle.  Recognition flared in her eyes at the same time as she hastily pulled back from me.  She dusted off her pants and then using the back of her hands wiped away the last of the tears from her cheeks.

 “Charlie, look.” She started and then turned away from me to glance back at the road.  She let out a long sigh before she started again, “Look, I made a big mistake in coming back here.  I see that now and I don’t want to ruin your sisters wedding, so let’s not make a big deal out of this alright?” she finished and turned those pleading eyes back on me.

For once in my life, I was at a complete loss for words.  On one hand I knew that it would be best for Heather to just leave.  But something inside me screamed at the thought.  I didn’t want to watch her back as she walked out of my life again, probably for good this time.

 Heather started to turn to leave and before I could stop myself I reached out and grabbed her shoulder, “Hey” I said softly and then had what I like to refer to as a dumb moment.  I tried to offer her a smile for a lack of not knowing exactly what words to say.