*CHAPTER ONE*

"Mik!" Sarah called.

          I turned to look over my shoulder and half-smiled. "Hey..." I mumbled and I stayed silent for a few more minutes.

          She finally sighed and rolled her eyes. "Talking to you is as depressing as always." she chuckled and nudged my side causing me to stumble away a little, "Cheer up." she smiled light-heartedly.

          Sarah has changed. I mean, it has almost been eleven years since the incident, I've changed too. But Sarah, she's become so popular and gorgeous, where I'm more shy than what I had been and I don't like people. I'm not as friendly as I used to be.

          It's scary what reality can do to a person.

          I sighed and looked up, squinting my eyes as the bright sun shone on my face. I scanned the parking lot for my car and spotted my blue Sedan. "I'll talk to you some other time..." I muttered with the same quiet tone I've used around people since I was eight.

          I walked over to my car and before I got in, I scanned my surroundings. In front of the school, on the sidewalk that was paved beside the road, stood a man with brown spiked hair, a grey t-shirt and dark-washed jeans, blood lightly splattered his face and clothing. A shiver ran down my spine and I cringed, I tried to shake the image out of my mind because I knew it was all just a figment of my imagination. So, I climbed into my car and closed my eyes. "Depressing as always..." I mumbled Sarah's words with a humorous snort. I watched Sarah climb into her boyfriend's vehicle. I smiled and pinched my bottom lip between my index finger and thumb, "Tell me, again, why we are friends?" I put my car in drive and, before driving off, I took one more glance in her direction. "Whatever."

          I smiled and carefully pulled out of the school parking lot. My long black hair was pulled into a high ponytail and my bangs lay perfectly across my forehead. I hummed to fill the empty atmosphere of my car; soon, I pulled into my long gravel driveway.

          I was used to the old short one, but now I live with my grandparents. It's hard to get used to changes even if they were years ago.

          When I got to the end of it, I put my car in park and turned the key; sadly, silencing everything around. I reached over the console and grabbed my book bag, searching through it to find my phone. Stuffing my device in my pocket, I sighed and climbed out. I knew that as soon as I walked through that door my mind would fill with grief and disappointment. It always happened and sometimes it was difficult to handle. I finally opened my car door and walked to the front door. My hopes were already raising. Before I stepped inside, I made sure to lock my vehicle and I reached for the door knob. Pushing open the door, my heart clenched when I only saw my grandmother standing at the stove.

           I was hoping for my father to be sitting at the table, waiting for me to walk inside so he could grapple me in the warmth of a hug.

           But like I said, reality hits a person worse than a bullet...

           My grandmother glanced towards the doorway and had to double take. Her lovely smile greeted me, "Hello, Sweetie." She had always been the "sweetie" type. It was the only name in her vocabulary. Strangers, lovers, children, even animals had the name. It was odd for me at first, but I've gotten used to it.

           "Hey..." I murmured quietly. She gave me a questioning look, I could see it out of the corner of my eye.

           But she never said a thing, she went on with her business. She wasn't a very blunt person, she never stated anything she thought. The woman is one of those people who lie to make you feel better.