*CHAPTER SEVEN*

"What you're saying is that this man, in this photo, killed your parents eleven years ago?" Officer Bennett questioned as Matt, Andrew, and I all sat across from his desk. I nodded slowly, "Why didn't you notify us when the incident happened?" he spoke.

           "I was seven, I didn't know how complicated my life would be afterward." I mumbled as I looked him in the eyes.

           Officer Bennett was a nice guy. His first name was Kyle and he was a good friend of my dad's and when he heard they had been murdered, he was the first officer who wanted to cover the case. He had a son in my grade, but I didn't know him, didn't want to after the incident. But, Officer Bennett had been surprised to see me walk in the department building.

           Matt had dragged me here after I was released. Andrew came because he was hanging out with the guy. "Can you just tell us how we can do this?" Andrew asked impatiently, "I want to get this out of the way so we can stop worrying about a murderer on the loose."

            Andrew wasn't good friends with Officer Bennett. They've had many bad occasions. All of the times Andrew has ran, Officer Bennett had been the one to find him. Andrew would give him all of this bull crap and eventually, Kyle got tired of it. Andrew was on thin ice.

           Kyle looked at him with exasperated eyes, "Do you have proof? DNA? I don't think so. So this will take time."

           "Time?" Matt asked. "She's been living with this grief her whole life and she just gave you pure evidence and you're going to tell us you can't solve this case?"

           Officer Bennett shrugged and I was left speechless. "It takes time solving a case either way. I don't know who this guy is, matter-of-fact, I don't know any of his background history. The way you're thinking is not how it works."

            "My dad was an officer before he got stabbed, I know how it works."

            I turned to Matt, then back to Kyle. His eyes grew stern, but softened as he saw my face. I opened my mouth, "Why can't you help?" I whispered. He furrowed his eyebrows, "I see it in your eyes Officer Bennett. I know how devastated you were to hear one of your best friends had been shot and so had his wife. I saw that every time I was around you, your eyes would turn and I could hint your sympathy for the broken and orphaned girl. You were the only Officer that stayed on the case for that long, everyone else wanted to quit. I know you want to help me. So why not?"

             Everyone sat in silence for a few moments. All eyes were on him as he sat in that throne-like chair in his office. "Okay," he mumbled, "I'll help because he was your dad." Matt smiled and grabbed my hand. Andrew watched Matt closely, "Now how am I supposed to track this guy?" Kyle continued.

             Andrew rubbed the back of his neck, nervously, "I know him, he's one of my friends. I have his number."

            Officer Bennett gave him an odd smile, "It's nice to know you're on my side this time, Mr. Knight." Andrew acted like nothing happened and just nodded slightly, it was hardly noticeable. Kyle continued, "Address?"

            And with that word, Andrew had given him all the information he needed to find this guy and prepare for an interrogation meeting.

           I was pleased with everyone's effort to help me, but I didn't want it. Waiting was the most difficult part.

~^*^~!~^*^~

           "Are you ready, Doll Face?" Andrew asked as I curled up in the small, metal, fold chair that Officer Bennett had offered me.

           I met his eyes and nodded, "I've never wanted to mess with this because I thought it would make everything worse. So, what if it's not him?" I mumbled as Matt brought me a cup of coffee, "Won't this make everything worse?"