Chp. 2

hey-lo!

just wanted to say thanks for reading, and thanks to the people who have commented and such :) that kinda made my day since my other stories nobody really said anything, so i'm guessing that this story will probably be more promising? anyways, thanks and enjoy this chapter!

ps: the picture on the side is what kaelyn would like to do to thunder. lol XD

oh and one more thing. kaelyn ages like a horse. so three horse years = 17 human years, more or less :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                      =2=

=Philip=

          We rode together in silence across the grassy hills within my family's territory. The sun rose higher into the sky as we killed time exploring the area. Occasionally idle chatter would arise between Henry, Alex and myself, though it never rose into a deep discussion. And despite the fact that we didn't talk that much, it only revealed the closeness we had with each other. None of us felt obligated to speak in order to fend off uncomfortable silences.

          Alex rode slightly ahead of us, keeping a watchful eye out for anything suspicious. Being my personal guard, as well as a dear friend, he wanted to be fully alert for danger so he could warn me in time. Alex also was an impressive swordsman, he remained the undefeated champion in the castle. Due to his prowess, he had been appointed to be my bodyguard. I had never felt safer. His quiet and humble attitude impressed me a great deal. Here was one of the most talented fighters in these lands, and never once have I heard him boast. I hoped to be like him.

          Henry remained by my side. In fact, he was always by my side. His job as my personal attendant meant that should shadow me silently and instantly assist me with my duties when it appeared that I needed help. I didn't believe in that though, I didn't want someone who would follow me around and remain quiet. Instead he became a close friend who had a voice. We told each other everything, and confided one another in things. In a way, he was like the older brother I never had. He looked out for me, and I knew he always had my back.

          Finally we stopped to eat lunch by a small river. A small tree was growing by the riverbank, so that's where we tied the horses, making sure their rope was long enough so they could take a drink. I stroked Thunder's neck affectionately and he nickered softly. Alex and Henry grabbed their lunch from their saddlebags and  sat down on the lush grass. Alex brought over his crossbow as well, just in case. I patted Thunder's nose, then sat down in between Alex and Henry.

          "So Alex," I said between bites, "what sort of game do you think we could find out here?" Alex not only has sword skills, but her also hunts in his spare time. 

          He thought for a moment while chewing on his bread. A light breeze tugged playfully at his hair and shirt. Alex glanced around the grassy area thoughtfully, taking in the little river, the forest beyond it, and the grassy hills behind us.

          "I'd say probably some deer, squirrels, rabbits, small prey like that." He said quietly. "You never know though, maybe we'll chance upon something larger." 

          "A bear?" Henry looked a little scared. I laughed at his expression.

          "Yea Henry," Alex and I grinned. "We'll definitely find a bear out here! Good grief!" I said, still chuckling.