Chp. 31

=31=

=Philip=

          The sounds of screams and metal clashing snapped me out of my little world. Someone had been shouting that we were under attack, his cry eerily cutting short. People were running, servants I assumed, and were screaming and crying in fear. 

          What is going on out there?

          I was torn between leaving Kaelyn and going to investigate the situation outside. It felt wrong to leave her when she had been asking for my help, and at the same time, as the prince I couldn't just cower inside of the stables. 

          Then a horribly familiar voice called out. When I realized that he was addressing my father, it was as if someone had kicked me hard in the stomach. 

          "Can the prince come out to play?"

          It was a direct challenge to my honor, and I couldn't simply stay put. Quickly, I jumped up to my feet to search for anything that could make a suitable weapon. My own sword was sitting uselessly in my room. There was no way I could get to it without Drake spotting me.

          Here I was, trapped inside of the stables with Kaelyn. I didn't have a choice but to wait for a miracle.

***

=Henry=

          Drake began casually swinging his sword in lazy circles as he grinned cockily downward at Henry and the king. 

          Why does he want Philip?

          King James stood tall, and replied in a loud and fearless voice.

          "It is clear to me that you wish nothing but harm upon my son. I won't allow you to go near him."  Almost as if on cue, the king's personal guard came running out of the castle and stood around his majesty protectively. There were five guards, their armor shining brightly in the sunlight. One of them handed the king a long sword. 

          "Henry," the king murmured only loud enough for his son's servant to hear.

          "Yes, your majesty?" Henry replied just as quietly.

          "Fetch your weapons, and bring my son his sword. Protect him with your life and don't you dare let him out of your sight!"

          "Of course, your majesty." With a quick little bow, Henry darted into the castle.

***

=Drake=

          He watched as the pathetic servant ran off to follow the king's orders. Whatever they were, they probably involved protecting the prince at whatever cost. Drake remembered the servant well. He was the other servant the prince had taken with him riding before Drake had captured him. Despite that he hadn't had the skills and expertise in battle like the prince's redheaded guard had, he still could cause trouble.

          That just added to the list of his people to kill.

          The king stared defiantly up at him. Drake could only smirk. This man really thought he could beat him? Sure, if Drake had come alone, maybe they would have a chance... But with a small troop of men temporarily cursed with bloodlust, and hardly any soldiers around to defend the castle... What hope did they have?

          Cut off the head... and the body dies...

          Using a brief spell to give him inhuman strength, Drake crouched low and sprang from the railing, sword extended straight at the king. The air rushing past sounded extraordinarily loud in his ears. Streams of blood flew off of his blade and splattered against his face.