Chp. 24

for the cover art on the side :D 

random confusion about chapter 23...? yea. that's old news. water under the bridge. read something new. like this for example ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                =24=

=Philip=

         The familiar stone walls surrounding the castle loomed high above me as we rode through the tall iron gates into the giant courtyard. Every single person who lived or worked for my parents stood waiting for our return. The moment Henry and I came to view, each got down on one knee and bowed. The clip clop from our horse's hoofs striking against the cobblestones echoed lightly around us. I knew they were just being respectful, but the stillness was a little unsettling.

         "Philip!" A woman cried out. 

         Recognizing her voice instantly, I leaned slightly over, searching almost frantically for my mother. I spotted her quickly, her long green dress flowing out behind her as she rushed forward from where she was standing. Jerking the reins, I dismounted hurriedly, my foot catching on the stirrup and causing me to almost trip. I regained my balance and rushed into my mother's embrace.

         Her thin arms squeezed me tightly against her small frame. I could almost touch my own body again with my hands because she was so thin. She was trembling with small sobs. I only clutched at her tighter. She kept murmuring things in my ear, such as "my son," and "you're finally home." 

         This touching moment continued until I could feel the stares of more or less one hundred people watching us. I could hear their hushed chatter and excited whispers. Coughing quietly, I pulled back to give her a warm smile. 

         "I've missed you mother." Biggest understatement of the year.

         A few tears trickled down her cheeks, which she then dabbed at her misty gray eyes with a small handkerchief. Her small lips formed into a smile, mirroring my own happiness.

         "I've missed you too Philip," her voice was so hushed I could barely make it out. 

         Suddenly my uncle Markus gently pushed past my mother. His eyes widened when he saw me. Utter disbelief flashed through his eyes, and his mouth parted slightly in shock. Once again, I was ambushed with a bone-crushing hug. His thick beard scratching my face.

         "Oh my dear boy!" He boomed loudly. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

         "Hello Uncle," I managed to choke out. Like my father, uncle Markus was a strong man and a brilliant swordsman. 

         He only released me when my father patted his shoulder. Markus beamed down at me.

         "It's good to have you home Philip," he stated with a wide grin.

         The three of them stood together, my mother in the middle with my father on her right, and uncle Markus on her left. Sharing knowing smiles and glances, they parted unequally, as my mother stayed next to father. Standing a few feet away stood the single reason I had mixed feelings about finally returning home.

         Maria.

         Her green eyes widened as she took in the sight of me. I'm sure I looked pretty wild, with my longer hair and facial scruff. Not to mention I was half naked with a makeshift bandage wrapped around me and pants torn and shredded around the ankles. Back when we were younger, during her visits, she would sometimes go off on these ridiculous rants about how a prince should dress or act, constantly correcting my posture and demanding that I should learn how to be more like a gentleman. As we grew up, she backed off a little from her mini-lectures... I tensed slightly, preparing myself for any sort of comment on my appearance.