Mate of the Werewolf - Conversing with the Charming Wolf

Chapter 4: Conversing with the Charming Wolf

Finding clothes that will fit Chance proved a tad difficult and the only thing that would fit him was a pair of black jeans that had the knees worn out. Chance, however, didn’t seem to mind the fact that he was still half naked, not surprising when he didn’t mind being completely naked.

He was now sitting on the window ledge of Ethan’s room, having moved back there when Ethan feared that Camellia would barge through the front door at any given moment, resulting in her trying to challenge Chance to a territory battle while completely destroying the place in the process.

Ethan still hadn’t got around to fixing that hole in the wall of the dining room that Camellia had made in a moment of frustrated anger at yet another trespassing wolf.

The only lighting of the room was from the illuminating glow of the full moon outside, seeping into the room gently through the large bay windows on the second floor of his family’s estate. And Chance was sitting in front of the moon, wearing only the worn out jeans, one knee bent before him as his foot rested on the window sill, the other falling comfortable to touch the floor. And his arms appear to be equally casual, one resting on his knee, the other laying across his taut stomach. He appeared most at ease and oddly contemplative, thinking silently to himself. He appeared to be a highly confident young man, and yet he wasn’t arrogant or conceited. He was peaceful, for a lack of a better word.

He was actually one of the most politest wolves Ethan had ever encountered.

Stepping into the room, Ethan felt a sense of light-headedness again, and despite that, he wasn’t remotely fearful or intimidated by the handsome rogue wolf before him. There was something about his scent that he found comforting and he found himself falling at ease in his presence.

And he really couldn’t explain why.

“Would you like something to eat?” Ethan asked him. “You must be hungry from your journey, right?”

“You are indeed as generous as they say,” Chance said as he turned those eyes on him again and smiled a small, yet beautiful smile that brought a light blush to Ethan’s cheeks.

The blush deepened a shade more when he realized that Chance had insinuated that he was spoken off quite often, almost highly regarded in a way. It also made him feel a sense of curiosity as to why a wolf of his obvious calibre would want with a young wolf like him.

There were so many questions that were swimming in his head.

“Why have you decided to seek me out?” Ethan asked him as he sat on the edge of his bed, before scooting back a bit further so he could sit cross-legged in the middle of his bed, turning so he was facing Chance at the window. It wasn’t so much as a defensive question, but general confusion. He normally would never press his wolverine guests such personal questions, but...this was different.

“Curiosity, I suppose,” Chance answered truthfully as he stared up at the moon. “I had spent the last three years searching for my mate so had encountered many a werewolf during my journey. You are the first I’ve heard that offers unflinching sanctuary to the weary travelled.”

Ethan scratched the back of his neck sheepishly, truly not understanding what all the fuss was about. He was only doing what he thought was right; he had always loved animals and that love never left when he found out his was a werewolf. He had only figured that there were other werewolves out there and pondered where they would go if they ever needed any medical treatment. They weren’t fully human, nor were they fully beast. Not the best doctors in the world would understand that, only another werewolf would.

“How long have you been a werewolf?” Ethan asked.

“Ten years in the fall, I believe,” Chance replied as he turned his gaze away from the full moon, his blue eyes almost glistering like neon lights as his silhouette was surrounded by the moon, the light enhancing the manly attractiveness of his chest and amplifying the strength of his long arms. “And it would be exactly three years in the winter.”

Funny, that was the same time as his three years of a werewolf would be as well.

“Um, have you found your mate?” Ethan asked awkwardly, not entirely sure why he was indeed asking such a personal question nor believing it was any of his business. He also refused to acknowledge the way his heartbeat increase at the thought.

Chance gazed at him with an unwavering gaze. “Yes,” he said simply.

Ethan fidgeted a little, feeling somewhat shaky and submissive under his stare. “And...you think I’m your mate?” he pressed, finding that statement oddly not as repulsive as he probably should have considering he had only just met Chance tonight.

Again, another short answer. “Yes.”

Ethan swallowed thickly. “Why?” he asked, which earned him a look of confusion from the man before him. “Why me? I’m nothing special,” he continued, unable to tear his gaze away from his. “I have only been a werewolf for three years, and I am hardly strong enough to be a mate to a powerful wolf like you. How can you possibly know that your mate is me?”

At first Chance said nothing, only stare at him with those soul-piercing eyes. Then, he slowly got up from his sitting position on the window sill and crossed the room soundlessly, gliding across the floor with the predatory grace of a wolf. He then approached the bed and Ethan subconsciously began to move away, but he didn’t get very far until he suddenly found himself flat on his back, Chance leaning over him, his powerful legs on either side of his hips as he hands were planted on either side of his head.

“W-what are-?”

“It’s your scent,” Chance spoke with his richly thick and deep voice. “As Werewolves, we possess primal instincts that cannot be placed into human words. It’s in our bodies, our hearts. You said you turned into a werewolf only three years ago, correct?”

“Y-yes,” Ethan shuddery replied.

“And my journey began three years ago,” Chance reminded him before smiling softly. “Coincidence?”

Ethan’s eyes widen at the revelation. “You...”

“Yes, I’ve been searching for you,” Chance told him as he dropped down to his elbows, leaning closer to Ethan, his hands taking his and entwining them together before pinning them to the bed. And his eyes, they refused to leave his.

Ethan could only shake his head slowly, the words, this whole circumstance of mates and being famous just wasn’t sinking in properly. “I don’t understand.”

“When a submissive wolf like yourself turns into a werewolf for the first time, his domineering mate is alerted through a link that can only be described as a link to the soul, to the inner wolf within,” Chance explained before he leaned down to nuzzle his cheek against his, much like that of what a wolf in the wide would do.

“I will protect you from this moment on,” Chance whispered into his ear.

Ethan couldn’t quite believe what he was hearing; mates, soul links...it didn’t make sense, and yet he believed him. A rather large proportion of him believed Chance’s every word. But...he can’t...

“The human part of your mind doesn’t comprehend what’s happening, but your bodily instincts do,” Chance went on to say as he licked Ethan’s cheek again, Ethan finding his body melting under his touch, his head moving back to expose his neck completely against his will.

A sigh then passed his lips when Chance suddenly trailed his tongue down his throat, his lips gently nipping at the skin. “C-Chance...”

“Let go and just react,” Chance said as he hovered his lips above Ethan’s gasping mouth.

And react, Ethan did. He abruptly lifted his head up and pressed his lips against Chance’s eager ones.