Chapter Eight: To The End "If You Marry Me, Would You Carry Me To The End?"

CHAPTER EIGHT

Gerard finally cheered Helena up to the point where she felt as if she could survive a trip to visit her parents for breakfast.

"Good luck," he had wished her, fading away in a split second, his cheeky smile the last thing to disappear, like a Cheshire cat.

"Thanks, I'll need it," she muttered even though he had left.

With a sigh, Helena returned to her room and made herself look good enough to present to her perfectionist mother. Her getup was a pair of black skin tight jeans and a teal blouse, which would appeal to Mrs. Layne's professional taste.

Leaving without saying goodbye to her friends, she passed through the ballroom in vain hope that Gerard would be there again. She arrived to find that the room was devoid of all life forms. Sighing, she told herself that it wasn't ladylike for her to be so addicted to someone—and a ghost at that! As she left the room, she took the time to lock the room's exterior door, not wanting any passersby to accidentally come in.

This took a few seconds longer than usual, and she thought she heard a song being whispered from behind her, and she grinned.

"Well let's go back to the middle of the day that starts it all...I just can't begin to explain what I'm feeling...and the red ones..."

"I was hoping to see you again before I made my way back home," she murmured shyly without turning around.

"You have another Way that you're making?" he teased, grabbing her hands and putting his arms around her waist from behind.

"Oh, Gee...of course not!" Helena smiled and then added, "I don't suppose you could walk there with me?"

"Darling, I only stay in this hellhole of memories because I haven't forgiven myself for what happened here," Gerard trailed off but quickly finished, "But you've given me another purpose, greater than what happened all those years ago."

"I'd like to hear that story sometime, if you don't mind."

"Sometime, maybe." He smiled crookedly and rested his head on her shoulder, "Now stand up fucking tall and take my fucking hand; let's go meet your parents."

She giggled and obeyed the lyrics from Our Lady of Sorrows, walking as close to him as possible as they exited the mansion and  started the walk to her home.