Chapter Five: Interlude "Saints Protect Her"

CHAPTER FIVE

Helena walked through the rest of the tour in a daze, nodding blankly when asked if her and her friends wanted to stay the night. As soon as they were tucked away in their rooms, she sneaked back into the piano room, shivering against the frigid air.

Sitting down in a corner, she yawned and leaned against what she thought was the wall.

An arm wrapped around her waist, and she almost screamed before a gentle whisper hushed her.

"It's me, Halo, it's Gerard." He said, resting his head on her shoulder.

Breathing out, she smiled to herself and leaned closer into his embrace. "Hey."

His breath tickled her neck as he asked, "How are you this cold, dreary night?"

"A bid chilled, but fine, thank you." She answered, mimicking his faint New Jersey accent.

Gerard chuckled and stroked her short pitch black hair with his free hand. "Have you anything planned for today or..." The piano began playing an eerie tune, and the faint outline of a short man sitting at the bench winked at Helena. "...may I have this dance?"

She bit her lip, nervously realizing that her music idol, ghost or not, had just asked her to dance. "I-I'd be honored." She stammered, beaming as he stood up, bowed, and took her hand softly.

"The pleasure is mine, Lady Layne."

The music was quiet but sounded as if it was the very air, guiding their feet as they danced slowly around the moonlit ballroom, the old piano humming the song Romance.

When the music faded out and the moon reached its peak in the night, Gerard's ghost pulled Helena close to him and buried his face in her hair.

"It's been so long since I've met someone like you...someone who really believed." He murmured, half closing his eyes as she tentatively wrapped her arms around him.

"Thank you," The girl replied, blinking away tears, "I ought to go now."

He sighed and released her. "Bring your friends tomorrow night."

Helena nodded and smiled adoringly at him. "Good night, Gerard."

The ghost's weary eyes flashed with life, "Farewell, my Lady."

Creeping back to her bedroom, she could hardly contain her joy, but in a corner of her mind she debated how she would tell her friends. Would they be upset that she didn't tell them earlier?

And worse, would they even believe her?

PART TWO: This Is How I Disappear "To Unexplain the Unforgivable"

*flashback*

As soon as Mikey way had been alone for a few hours, the anger resurfaced. He had opted to stay behind while Frank and Gerard went to buy groceries, and Ray, the lone business man, was in a meeting with Mr. Tibet, so he had the mansion mostly to himself. The wine closet was all too tempting, and he found a bottle of whiskey to push away the emotional and physical pain. As he drained the last of it, he fell against the bedroom wall, seething as he replayed the afternoon's events.

"SCARLET!" Mikey yelled, running to her room and slamming the door open. "Explain yourself!"

The girl flinched and stared at him, eyes open wide in shock. "M-Mikey!" she stammered, dropping the book she was holding. "W-what do you mean?"

He knocked the book off the bed she was laying on. "Why'd you lead me on and then go kiss Gerard? You slut!"

Scarlet whimpered, tears filling her eyes. "Look, Mikey, stop. I'll explain e--"

"No! How could you?" His words were laced with agony and a tide of emotions.

"You're overreacting, let me explain." She whispered, crawling backwards as he stepped closer to her.

"Damnit Scarlet, I trusted you!" Mikey yelled, lunging and grabbing her wrists. "Don't you have a heart?"

She struggled, but he was stronger than her, and the alcohol clouding his mind mixed with adrenaline, preventing her from slipping free. "S-stop." Scarlet sobbed.

"Don't you have the guts to say it?" He growled at her. "Say it! Say you never loved me!"

"Mikey, I did, I-I do, but.."

He dropped her left wrist and grabbed her throat roughly. "Say it! Fucking tell me you didn't care!"

Scarlet coughed weakly, gasping for air, "I—"

"Michael James Way!" A voice shouted from behind, "What the hell are you doing?!"

Stronger arms grabbed the furious man and heaved him off of Scarlet. Mikey dropped to the ground, sobbing and screaming at the same time. The girl, also crying, ducked behind the second man and ran out the door.

"Mikey!?" Ray turned around and gaped at him. "What..."

"Don't ask me Ray." Wiping his eyes with one sleeve, Mikey pushed past him, but turned. "I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing..." He whispered, "I just— And don't tell Gerard."

Late that night, as the band minus Mikey, whose excuse was an awful headache, Dr. Death, Show Pony, and Mr. Tibet sat down to a slightly-undercooked dinner made by Frank, a small bit of news was brought up that no one thought much of.

"Scarlet left today," Mr. Tibet said, "Thought I should let you all know. She has an aunt in California and said that she wanted to stay with her for a while."

Gerard looked uncomfortable for a few minutes, waiting for the studio owner's reassuring smile. As soon as he saw that it wasn't his fault, he sighed and picked the safe to eat pieces off of a chicken wing.

Meanwhile, Mikey stared at the sky, turning a knife over and over in his hands.

"What have I done, what have I done..." He whispered hoarsely. "I loved her...and now...I guess this is how I disappear."