Chapter 3

I could feel the sunlight warming my eyelids. I groaned and rolled over. I meant to bury my face in my pillow but I rolled the wrong direction and found myself face down on the hard wood floor. God damnit! I sat up and looked at the clock. It was only 8AM, yet it was so fricken bright outside! I missed all my trees to block out the light. I was about to go back to sleep, but I could faintly smell vanilla; I decided to check it out.

I walked down the stairs while rubbing my aching nose. I followed the scent and ended up in the kitchen. I couldn't remember ever being in here. Did I even eat dinner last night? I saw a Styrofoam cup sitting on the countertop. It was on top of a piece of notebook paper. I picked up the note, and assumed that it was from Susan.

The note read, "Good morning Anjie! I made a vanilla cappuccino for you. I hope you like it. I have a few errands to run, but feel free to do whatever you want or go anywhere. I'm not strict so I don't mind, as long as you stay out of trouble. Have fun sweet pea!"

I sighed. I wasn't really a coffee person, but whatever. Well I guess I have no chores or anything to do. I took the cup and went back up the stairs. When I reached the top I bumped into someone who was coming around the corner.

"Oh sorry!" I yelled in surprise. I looked at the short blond girl in front of me. She had pretty blue eyes and the cutest freckles. Overall, she was downright adorable.

"It's okay. I'm Bradleigh Davis." She held out her hand and I shook it.

So that's their last name, I thought. She must be Susan's daughter.

"I'm Anjie Clark." I stated.

"Yeah, Susan told me." She replied.

"You call your mom Susan?"

"Yep, she doesn't mind. She likes to think of herself as more of a friend." Bradleigh shrugged.

"Oh okay." That's cool, I guess. Just then the doorbell rang.

"Are you busy?" Bradleigh asked.

"Nope." I said, popping the P.

"Wanna come play the wii with me and my friend?" She asked, heading down the stairs.

"Sure. Not like I have anything better to do," I replied. I was up for anything that didn't lead to me spending the day all alone.

Bradleigh skipped over to the door and flung it open with enthusiasm. A tall girl a couple inches shorter than me walked in. She had brown hair and brown eyes.

"Leah, this is Anjie Clark. Anjie, this is Leah Miller," Bradleigh introduced. I gave her a small wave and she nodded back.

"Well who's ready for some Just dance 2?!" Bradleigh shouted, throwing her arms in the air.