Chapter 3: Beginning My Unexpected Life

(CATRIONA)

The rest of the day, my mum and I spent it going all over Diagon Alley, getting my new books, cauldron, and potion supplies, not running into Draco once. I was a bit happy and a bit sad; happy because I wouldn't have to be so nervous, sad because I wouldn't see Draco until September the first, which was twelve days away! The rest of my days, I spent in my bedroom. I watched some television, and packed for Hogwarts bit by bit everyday. There was nothing to do without a friend here...Without Draco here.

But then mother came into my room seven nights before I had to leave, telling me that we would be going over to the Malfoy's manor in four days.

Now here we are, four days later, preparing hurriedly to leave. My dad's on a business trip with some wizards in France. I really don't care wether he's here; I just want to see Draco! I'm acting like such a freak. Mum says we're going by Floo powder...as usual.

My mother takes the powder, steps into the fireplace, and, before dropping the powder, says "Malfoy Manor!" and she's engulfed in emerald green flames. I go next, our house elf holding out the cup for me. I do the steps and immediately am taken to a gloomy living room where my mother and Nacrissa are having a deep discussion. I'm about to get up when Draco, appearing from no where, grabs my hand and picks me up.

"I thought you said you were done following me?" he jokes, grinning widely.

"I-well-I-my mother-we-invited-" I sputter, looking stupid as hell.

"Don't worry! Come up to my room," Draco narrows his eyes to our mothers, "I don't think we're needed here."

"Haha, all right!" I reply, following him up the stairs to his room, awaiting what's next.

(DRACO)

I can't believe I...God, I'm so stupid. She must've felt so weirded out! I mean, you can't just go up to a girl and help her up! But I just had to, didn't I? Now Catriona's here! In my bedroom! This is so...strange! I've no control over my feelings! URGHH!! 

"You play guitar?!" her voice interrupts my thoughts. I see she's found my guitar. I hope she doesn't ask me to-

"Play. Could you? Play for me, I mean," oh no...

"Uh, we should go downstairs!" my worst attempt at distracting someone.

"Quickly, please? Just one song!" she's BEGGING.

"Fine," I give in, "But no making fun!"

"I swear!" she says, smiling widely. She's so beautiful! I grab my guitar and start playing a song I know by heart. I wrote it myself!

There are many places I haven’t been,

seen them all on screen.

And there are many faces I need to meet,

time to use my feet.

I guess that I can’t seem to free my mind.

I can’t seem to make the most of my time.

I guess I’m stuck here, until my luck clears.

Blue skies painted in my eyes.

You don’t have to stay goodbye.

‘Cause you won’t look me in the eye.

‘Cause I will find an answer…

(One of these days.)

I will take my chance to…

(Just one of these days.)

…Fly away.

Yeah, I’ll fly away.

Just one of these days.

And I need to take my chances.

There’s always time for the second glances.

I can’t miss my only chance to be free.

Feet in white sands, sunsets on the sea.

And many years from now,

I’ll pack it up and then I’ll quit my whining.

And many years from now,

I’ll want to look back smiling.

And I stop after that, too embarassed to go on. She must've hated it!

"That was beautiful," she whispers, her eyes welling up with tears. Girls. Gosh, they're so weird! I wasn't even good.

"No it wasn't!" I object. That was the worst thing I ever sang and played!

"Yes, it was!" she tells me again, "Did you write it yourself? I've never heard anything like this before..."

"Erm...yeah...I wrote it myself..." 

"I loved the lyrics!" she exclaims, "It's beautiful. I never knew you played?"

"That's because you only met me yesterday!" I reply, feeling more confident. Maybe girls aren't so hard after all?

"Let's go and eat," Catriona says, "Also, you needn't call me Catriona. Just call me Cat."

"Alright...Cat," I get up and make my way to the door, "Let's eat. I'm starving!"

"Alrighty!" Cat says.

And with that, we make our way downstairs.

(CATRIONA)

He's amazing, he really is! I mean, he's kind, funny, helpful, and he can sing and play a guitar! What can't he do? But his dad, Lucius Malfoy, is quite...dull? I've no idea what kind of word could describe him. Gr. He sucks the life out of Draco, he's like a Dementor...specialized...for Draco only...

"Draco, use your manners," this, "Now, now, Draco. Aren't you going to introduce us to you friend," that! Honestly, I could squish his head alive!

"Cat, I forgot to tell you but we'll be staying here for the night," my mum tells me. GREAT. Just GREAT. Wonderful! Me and Draco, one house, sleeping together in the same house! The world is complete.