[4] Pills.

Eight tiny legs paced over Vergil's frail fingers. He couldn't even feel the spider on his skin, only on certain spots and then it tickled.

He titled his head, breathing in awe. It had to be one of the reasons he didn't swallow every prescribed pill in sight at once. There was so much to learn about the earth, its species, its physics laws, a lifetime didn't feel enough. Hence, he was hesitant about shortening it further.

"I keep telling you, stop touching every insect. Some might be poisonous."

Vergil's faint smile fell right off. He only glanced at Ethan's shoes, refusing to meet his eyes even when the man lowered to his level by sitting on the grass. They were in the school's back yard.

"I would know." he murmured, continuing to observe the fairly sized spider.

"What... what happened to your face-"

"Blech."

That sound came from behind, and soon enough a black-nailed hand came to view and flicked the spider off Vergil's hand. He snapped his head towards Stevo.

"You jerk!"

The guy shoved Vergil's shoulder and plopped down before lying on his back, legs sprawled. "Jerk? I'm not the one who ditched my friends." he peeked at Vergil from under one eyelid and reached out to poke his bruised jaw.

Vergil jerked his head away and tsked.

"Who are we beating up?"

By 'we' he meant his weird friends from the suburbs.

"You."

Stevo shrugged and punched himself in the face.

Vergil couldn't possibly hold it in and laughed, covering his mouth. Ethan snickered.

"You're so stupid, man." he said.

Stevo tucked in his chin as though considering the concept. Vergil rolled his eyes, unable to wipe off his smile.

"Some German guy punched me for not being German. There was a lot of them."

Ethan pulled a face and sighed, ruffling Vergil's hair. "Don't leave on your own again." his fingers started searching the head curiously. "What's with the bumps?"

Vergil slapped his hand away. "They threw me around." he lied. Those had been inflicted by self-harm.

"You had another fit didn't you. Why didn't you take your pills!"

"I was about to take my pills, all of them in fact!"

There he went, unable to tell the difference between what parts of his life he should reveal and what parts he shouldn't. Ethan gawked at him and Stevo sat up.

"Dude. I know SLC Punk is my favourite movie and all, but that doesn't mean you have to end up like Stevo's best friend..."

"Maybe I should."

"Don't say that!" Ethan snapped.

Vergil took his bag and stood up. When Ethan made a move to follow, he ran away.

Since it was the middle of lunch break, the corridors were well near empty. That let Vergil peacefully count his steps, chest about to swallow his head whole. It wasn't a wonder he knocked into someone.

Perfect. The one single person in the entire corridor, the janitor, and he managed to knock into him.

He stumbled back, feet as equally clumsy as his mouth, as he was now blabbering. The man kept a blunt expression, leaning on his mop.