Chapter 4 - Testosterone and Tension

It had been a week, seven days, 168 hours and an interminable number of minutes. Jason hadn't been to school, he hadn't come to offer me a ride, and he hadn't so much as dropped by. My brother had told me that he had to attend to something private and he didn't know when he'd be back. I turned over in my bed, enjoying the warmth of my duvet in the knowledge that I didn't have to go to school today. With a glance at my bedside clock I decided to tumble out of bed and do something more productive than wallowing. 

Wondering into the kitchen, my hair in messy disarray around my shoulders and my white tank and superman shorts crumpled, I stopped short. 

There, circling the kitchen island sat Cole, Nathan and Josh with plates piled high with bacon eggs and beans. 

Josh grinned, his mouth full and offered me a wave. Cole stood up and pushed me into his seat with a smile, and Nathan offered a simple gruff "G'morning." 

The commotion alerted my brother who turned from his position at the stove and thrust an empty plate into my hands before motioning towards the plates that littered the counter and telling me to help myself. Cole wandered into the living room, and the sounds of the football game wafted into the kitchen a few seconds later. 

The soft buzz of conversation around me was comforting and strangely familiar. The guys soon trickled into the living room and when the doorbell chimed I was pretty certain that not one of them had even heard it. I deposited some of the empty plates into the kitchen sink and turned on the tap before wiping my hands and turning into the entryway to get the door. 

I wrenched open the door, "Sorry I was just-" I couldn't say another word. There, in all his gorgeous glory stood Jason, a small beautiful smile at his lips. A navy shirt was stretched across the planes of his torso, and black denim encased his thighs. He tucked his hands into his pockets and it was then I noticed that his eyes were travelling across my face and down my body leaving my skin flushed and warm. 

I tugged at the hem of my shorts that ended several inches before my knees and his eyes darkened infinitesimally 

"Hi Angel." 

I stepped back and allowed him in, not entirely certain how to make a reply. I hadn't anticipated that the narrow entryway would force his length of his body against mine. The heat that emmanated from him fluttered across my skin too, and I couldn't even lift my eyes to meet his, terrified of what he'd see in them. 

He lifted a single hand and slipped it across the slice of my exposed skin between the hem of the tank and the seam of my shorts, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. 

"I missed you." 

His low velvety voice struck something inside me and I couldn't help but press slightly closer to him. He let out a tortured sigh and his breath danced across my forehead. 

I swallowed, and managed to merely string together four words. "You didn't even call." 

He was silent for a moment, before tilting his head to press a soft, tempting kiss on my temple. "I wasn't sure you'd want me to. Not after how I left things." 

I smiled then, and met his dark bottomless eyes. I wrapped my arms around his neck and threaded my fingers into his hair. "I'm sorry." 

"Am I interrupting?" 

I turned my head and saw my brother leaning against the wall, his eyes locked on Jason's. Instinctively, Jason's arm tightened around my waist before I slipped out his arms and shook my head "No, not at all. I was just-" I paused realising that Kyle still hadn't wrenched his gaze from Jason's. I cleared my throat. 

Both sets of eyes glanced at me before Kyle murmured "I need to talk to Jason for a moment. Outside. Alone." 

I turned my eyes on Jason, who's hair was still messy from where I'd run my fingers through it. He shot me a wink and followed my brother outside before shutting the door behind him. 

~

I put the last dish into the dishwasher and turned it on, waiting for the beeping sound before wiping my hands and slipping back into my room. Jason and my brother had been outside for ten minutes and still hadn't made it back in. I bit my lip and told myself to stop worrying. 

I couldn't help but wonder if this is was all moving too fast. Recalling the heat of Jason's eyes, and they way his hands felt against me I shivered involuntarily. I decided that I needed a shower to clear my head and opened my bedroom door before I noticed that I'd forgotten a towel and clothes. 

Laughing at my own forgetfulness I whispered "This is crazy."

"What is?" 

I swivelled around to see Jason leaning against my doorjamb his arms crossed over his chest and his mouth titled up into a devastating smile. His biceps stretched at the material of his t-shit and I went a little weak at the knees. 

"Angel, I think you better stop looking at me like that for my own sanity of mind." 

I tore my eyes away and opened my wardrobe picking up the first pair of jeans I could get my hands on. "What was all that about?" 

He didn't make a reply for a moment, but I heard the unmistakable sound of my door clicking shut. Then he replied, "Nothing."

I faced him then, and put a hand on my hip. "You're not going to tell me." 

He merely looked at me with amusement, and then sat down on my bed before perching his arms on his knees. "You're cute when you're mad." 

I shook my head refusing to be distracted by his appeal and crossed the room to stand in front of him. "What aren't you telling me?"

He stretched out a hand to pull me to him and I immediately dodged it. He sighed frustrated by that, and ran a hand through his hair. I tried my best not to notice, but a lock of his hair fell across his forehead and it was everything I could do not to push it back with my fingers. 

I could smell his scent, something woodsy mixed with whatever soap he used, and I knew it was going to linger in my room and taunt me for many days to come. 

He stood up and his eyes,as they gravitated to mine, were unusually serious. "Go out with me." 

I lifted an eyebrow, trying not to examine too closely why that request made my heart pound so hard, and instead asked "Why?" 

"Because I missed you. Because I want you to. Because I'm doing everything in my power not to kiss you right now." 

My breath caught in my throat and I couldn't help myself. I took at step toward him and he closed the distance between us by hauling me against the lean muscles of his body. "Angel?" He prompted, reminding me of his demand. 

I gulped, concentrating hard not to melt completely against him. "I don't know what to say." 

His lips grazed my neck, my ear, my cheeks. "Say yes." 

*****

Hi my lovlies :) That was so fun to write! Don't forget to vote comment and fan if you like it.

Love xxx