Chapter 3 (part two) - Realisation

“What do you mean you’re a werewolf?” I demanded, my mouth curving up into a smile.

Jason didn’t return it, but instead he looked earnestly down at me and waited for some sort of reaction to what he’d just told me.

“You’re serious?” I asked, my smile faltering, “You’re a dog?”

He grinned at that “Not quite, but I suppose that’s the general gist of it.”

I shook my head, pulling out of his arms and turned away from him. Blood pounded through my veins, my emotions flowing from doubt, to shock, to fear.

I felt his presence behind me, the heat of his body, as he waited patiently.

“Arielle?”

I glanced at him over my shoulder “Would you just take me home?”

He opened his mouth to say something, but something in my expression stopped him. Instead he swallowed, his adam’s apple bobbing against his throat before he nodding tightly.

The ride home was a reprieve, a moment to think, to understand. A werewolf? Did my brother know? What did that mean for us?

I’d hardly noticed that we’d pulled up to my building until he slipped off the bike and reached to help me off. I evaded his hands, tumbling off by myself in an entirely ungraceful manner. I could feel his eyes on me, gentle, probing.

“Can I walk you up?” He offered softly.

I spared him a glance, wanting to escape him as soon as I could. “No, I’m okay. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Without waiting for so much as a reply I bounded into my building, hoping with every fibre of my being that he wouldn't follow me in. Fumbling with my keys I unlocked the apartment door with trembling hands, and, sweeping my eyes across the living room I breathed a sigh of relief. Kyle was at work. 

Dropping my bag onto the wooden floor I unceremoniously dropped onto the cold leather of the couch and let myself go. My mind raced, my head pounded, and I shook my head disbelievingly. Minutes later, the sharp realisation that I hadn't so much as given him a moment to explain or even justify what he'd told me hit me like a ton of bricks. I had questions, hundreds of them. 

"Arielle?" 

The sound of my brother's voice startled me and I stood up from my spot on the couch. He swept into the living room, his hair dishevelled and the tie around his neck loosened. I hadn't even heard him come in. 

With a momentary brotherly assessment of me he pulled me to him in a hug and rested a reassuring hand on back. 

"Are you okay?" He murmured, pulling away to look at me properly, his eyes filled with concern. 

I rolled my eyes and slipped out of his arms. "He called you." 

Kyle lifted his hands in surrender and shrugged slightly, "Ari, he was worried abo-" 

"Don't even say it." I warned him, wandering into the kitchen needing for once to turn away and process this information. 

I was followed by Kyle who hung up his suit jacket on the wall, and then reached for my hand to stop me."We all are. And you deserved to know. If Mom and Dad were here they would have wanted you to know."

It was the first time we'd mentioned them since their funerals, and for a single second there was a pregnant silence between us. 

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I met his eyes and searched them. He swallowed and then shook his head. "I didn't know how." 

~

The night was taken up by explanations and revelations. Kyle told me everything he knew. He told me about the day he discovered what he was, and what our parents were. In a weird way, it was like being given a part of them back. 

I sat cross legged on the living room floor, with two now empty pizza boxes lying between my brother and I. I was exhausted, not physically, but mentally and emotionally. It seemed like an awful lot of information to digest. 

"What are you thinking?" Kyle asked, gathering up the pizza boxes and glancing up at me.

A soft sigh escaped me, and i realised I felt guilty. "I'm thinking that I handled it badly, with Jason I mean."

Kyle cleared his throat and immediately avoided my gaze "He'll forgive you in a heartbeat"

*****

So sorry for that very long absence! I had a lot of trouble with my account!

But I'm back :) And I know this chapter wasn't exactly heart pounding but the next one will be! I promise!

Love xxx