10

I ran out from the lobby into the cold.

It was almost six but it was still dark, the sun wouldn't be up for some time yet. I had my backpack and I had that damned phone inside. I couldn't destroy it and yet I couldn't leave it.

I started running up the road, back to Lyza's place. I'd get to her and we would go to her mom's and we would work this out.

The streets were empty, the wind rolling and sighing around me. The ground was slick and reflected the lights just like they had the night at the bar. As I ran I thought of that night, of how happy we had been the moment we had stepped outside. We truly had no cares then, no worries at all in the world.

And now this.

I passed by a gap in apartment buildings that gave me a glance into the woods. I shuddered, remembering the man staring up at me. I hoped there was no one there now. As I moved by I saw nothing, except the darkness of the woods themselves. It was almost as if the trees had swallowed the light, taken every last bit of the visible world and eaten it all up.

I ran by, nearly at Lyza's. Her car was always in the parking lot. Either she'd be waiting there, in the lobby or maybe in her room. But I was sure she'd be in a rush to get going too.

Somewhere far away I heard a screeching noise. Then the growl of an engine roared before fading into nothing.  

I slowed down, my breath harsh and ragged. I hadn't realised how fast I was running. It felt like I'd swallowed something hot and my shins ached. My breath came in ragged gulps.

Clearly spending my nights on the dance floor wasn't sufficient fitness training. I almost laughed at the thought, and then let out a terrible wail. I was losing it. How could I even think a funny thought now?

I had to get to Lyza. I was terrified. I didn't want to think about it. Didn't want to imagine it. But that photo... she wasn't in it anymore.

I rounded the corner of the building that led to Lyza's apartment.

I froze.

Something lay on the road in front of the building. Immediately I knew what it was.

Lyza.

She was laying down. She was half on the road, half on the gutter. Her white jacket fluttering ever so in the wind. It wasn't all white anymore. Dark patches pocked it and as I stepped forwards I knew.

I looked up the road but I couldn't see any cars. There was no one around so early in the morning.

I reached her and knelt down, fell down, tumbled down. Tears welled in my eyes and a groan escaped from me, impossible to stop. I looked at my friend and stared at the blood that pooled around her, half frozen in the chill of the morning air.

I moved her over and looked at her face. It was an expression full of fear.