12

I waited.

I stared at the clock on my computer. The distance between each minute seemed eternal.

Could I find him? In person maybe? If I was lucky he could be close by. Or maybe I could get his phone number. I couldn't just wait here. I needed to speak to him. I could maybe steal Lyza's car. No, the cops would be there. I'd have to get a ride. But how?

Then a message blinked on my screen.

Who are you?

My fingers tapped loudly in return. I could barely keep up with the words spilling from my head onto the keyboard.

I need help. I have the phone. My friends... they're dead.

Stop shitting me.

I'm serious. Here, in Westhaven. Ryan... he fell, I guess he fell off the bridge. And Lyza - she was just killed.

There was no reply. Moments passed. I bit at my nails. Then I saw the notification that he was typing. It disappeared.

Please. I wrote

He began typing again.

You're not shitting me?

NO! PLEASE!

OK. There is a way out of this.

The typing continued. Outside I heard something in the wind, long and low. A drawn out sound. It seemed to call for me. JEMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

You need someone else to take a selfie. They have to do it. You can't be in it.

Who? How?

Anyone. Get the phone to them. Put it somewhere. Give it to someone. Just hurry.

I pushed back in the chair. I looked at the phone and unlocked it. The photo was there, but now it was just me and even I was looking translucent. It wouldn't be long now. Maybe I should just stay here in the apartment. I mean I was safe here. Unless the building burned down how could anything get at me.

My computer bleeped softly.

You have to do this. It will get you.

Rain drops tapped on the window. I looked around the room. It was warm, cosy in here. It was scary outside. There was danger there. I knew it.

The light from my table spilled out like gold. It reached around the floor and throughout the room.

Well, not the entire room. The hallway to my bedroom and bathroom was dim, only half-lit. And there, by the couch in the corner it was dark. A pocket of darkness. A pool where the light didn't touch. Something could be there, something small and hidden. Something staring back at me.

I rose and grabbed my coat. I had no option. I was being hunted. I couldn't stay here inside and wait. I would have to go. I went to the front door and stepped out into the hallway. As I did I heard another door open.

Down the hallway I saw a golden light spill into the corridor. There was a shuffling sound. A shadow moved.

Someone stepped into the hall. They were silhouetted, hidden. But they stood there, arms at their sides clenched tightly. In one hand something sharp and thin. The person began to walk towards me.

I half-fell, half-ran down the stairs and outside.