Chapter 19

The next morning I felt surprisingly refreshed. Almost like someone had misted me with orange juice. I just had the morning feels, which is unusual for me. I was not a morning person. On weekends and other days with no school, I wouldn't wake up until 11:15 every morning. But today, my body naturally woke me up early. I had plenty of time to get ready and washed and to look nice. I was even feeling a little fancy so I sprayed some perfume.

Downstairs in the kitchen, my mother was just taking out a fresh batch of cornbread from the oven. "Oh, Colleen!" she said, happily, setting down the pan on the table. "You're up early. Come sit at the table. I made some corn muffins."

I gladly sat down and spread butter on a muffin. I was hungry and I wanted an extra full stomach before I went to class to compensate for the measly lunch she probably packed me. I took a bite and melted happily in my seat. It was warm and crumbly and the tastiest thing I've had in a while. Corn muffins were the exception to the 'no muffins' rule. Thank God my mother was a good cook in this time. My real mom couldn't cook her way out of a paper bag.

"So, sweetheart, how are your friends?" she asked, buttering her own muffin.

"My friends are fine, Mom," I said, feeling a little awkward. I didn't know this woman. She was completely unfamiliar to me. But I was completely known to her. I still felt like I was having a too in-depth relationship with her, comparing the amount of time I've known her and how much time I've spent with her.

"What about that Paul boy? He's taken a liking to you." She glanced up at me from her muffin and smirked cutesy-like.

I rolled my eyes and said "Don't worry, I'm not into him."

She seemed really shocked by that answer, probably because Paul's so handsome. "Well, you better leave soon. You don't want to be late."

I nodded, grabbed my lunch, and left. The wind was seriously cold and blowing ridiculously hard. I tried pushing past it as best as I could, but I could tell that my hair would be looking . . . interesting . . . after this.

Halfway to school, my nose and ears were pink and my nostrils were totally stuffed. "Hey, Colleen!" I heard behind me.

Still walking, I turn my head and see George running up to meet me, much like he had shortly after I met him.

I smiled and said "Hey, George!" I really didn't spend enough time with George. He was so innocent when he was a teenager.

Walking with me, he carefully said "So, how did your night with John go last night?"

Pretending I didn't notice his apprehension, I shrugged and answered "Alright. We didn't really do much."

That answer didn't satisfy him. He looked at me quizzically, yet trying to hide his expression from me. "Oh yeah? He didn't try anything, did he?"

I smirked. George was trying to hide his feelings for me so hard, but he failed worse than he probably failed that math test. "Nothing too bad."

George nodded, staring at the ground, too afraid to ask any more questions about the night before.

"So what did you and Paul do once you left?" I asked, taking the pressure off of him.

Caught a little off guard, but still relieved, he said "Oh, we just went home. But Paul couldn't stop talking about you and John."

"Oh?" I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Yeah, he seemed a little upset and annoyed. Did you do anything to piss him off?"

I rolled my eyes and said "He's still mad that I said no."

He nodded, looking down again. "Then why would he leave you with John? John's known for getting his way with girls." George became flustered after he realized that what he said might have made me uncomfortable. What he said was totally true, I already knew. I bet he thought that I might've slept with John and then he just told me that John sleeps around with a bunch of girls.

I smiled, knowing he had no reason to worry. "I'm sure he does. He's very smooth. I can see how women can't resist his manly charm." I said the last two words with the girliest voice I could do, making George grin and giggle.

A huge gust of wind suddenly blew over us, knocking me into George. I nearly tripped over him, but then I felt his arms wrapped around my waist, catching me from my fall. My face was less than a foot from the ground. I blushed as I regained my footing and straightened out my uniform. "Thank you," I said, avoiding his gaze.

He quickly took his arms back and blushed himself. "You're welcome, love."

We continued walking to school awkwardly, making small chatter here and there. We reached the school and made our way to our math classroom. We sat down and continued chatting, waiting for our class to begin.